1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue death feigning beetle (Asbolus verrucosus) with scorpion question?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by LunarBeats, Oct 11, 2017.

1. LunarBeats

LunarBeats Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So I have two beetles with my Hadrurus arizonensis. I feed my scorpion one cricket a week, and it seems to eat most of its prey without leaving much scraps. How long can the beetles go without scavenging anything? Im a bit worried theyll starve, so i put a small bowl of fish flakes and oats in to make sure they dont starve, and i seen them eating from it. Is this necessary, or would they just be fine living off the scorpions waste?

2. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnosquire Active Member

Is it possible the beetles are getting to the scorpion's leftovers before you have a chance to notice them?

Insects, especially ones which call a desert their home, are usually pretty good at going through periods of less/no food, but there's no harm in feeding them if you're concerned.

3. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

They might be eating the leftovers really quickly, but even if there's nothing left they should be fine just feeding on the scorp frass. You can add some supplemental food every now and then for them, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tenebrionids are super hardy and go for quite a while without food.

4. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Sprinkle some fish flakes or roach chow from time to time on the substrate and they will be good.