Blue Centipede that leaps / jumps

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
In an island region in the Philippines (Negros Occidental), we visited a farm and I was able to explore the nearby woods. Under rotting wood and big rocks I encountered electric blue cenetipedes that were around 4-7 inches in length. They leaped or made short jumps (about 7-10 inches high) when touched. Anyone knows what those are? I do not have a photo, only that its blue, and jumps. Thanks!

Last edited:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I've seen pics of centipedes from the Philippines posted in a couple of FB groups that I'm in which match your description. As for the jumping, you may be right, however I have noticed myself that when centipedes lash out they do so in such a manner that they appear to jump. There is also a variant with the same electric blue legs that also comes with bright orange bands. Personally, I think it has bumped Hardwickei into second place in the centipede beauty contest.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I've seen pics of centipedes from the Philippines posted in a couple of FB groups that I'm in which match your description. As for the jumping, you may be right, however I have noticed myself that when centipedes lash out they do so in such a manner that they appear to jump. There is also a variant with the same electric blue legs that also comes with bright orange bands. Personally, I think it has bumped Hardwickei into second place in the centipede beauty contest.

Hi. Not dash. Im familiar with the common centipedes that are present even in cities. Those certainly do not jump. But the blue centipedes I saw certainly flung their bodies 10 inches vertically, not diagonally (dash sideways). :D Also, the blue pedes had dark blue appendages as well. The anterior and posterior part where a shade of blue-violet.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
If you had taken pics it would have helped when it comes to ID. But regarding the behaviour you noticed, it would be a great discovery.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
If you had taken pics it would have helped when it comes to ID. But regarding the behaviour you noticed, it would be a great discovery.
Forget pics, I would've taken a video of them jumping. They don't exactly hop like grasshoppers, but they just jump when disturbed. The habitat noted was disturbed secondary growth but with heavy shade nevertheless near a running stream with very moist substrate that rarely dried out. The centipedes in question were markedly absent a a hundred meters or away from the stream on both sides.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Interesting.. a calcarata blue morph? x)
Who knows what we yet have to discover

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
There is also a variant with the same electric blue legs that also comes with bright orange bands. Personally, I think it has bumped Hardwickei into second place in the centipede beauty contest.
I just found out about those yesterday and combined with the huge and colorful millipedes there, the Phillippines are my new #1 destination. What Facebook group did you get this from? All the pictures I've seen are from the Instagram user heidelraquel

As far as jumping, my Asian 'pedes (like my now very jealous mint-legs) can crack their body like a whip and flail about, but centipedes do not possess any means to jump. However, I agree with the statement that centipedes can both rear up to their full height and whip about. Unless, of course, it can actually jump, and that means I want one even more. :)

Last edited:

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Resembled that one but cant remeber if the anterior is orange or blue(though Im pretty sure they are all blue after seeing them almost a hundred times).
Centipedes have many morphs, but an all-blue one, an orange and blue, and a orange striped with blue all in the same species or subspecies is truly an amazing species.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I just found out about those yesterday and combined with the huge and colorful millipedes there, the Phillippines are my new #1 destination. What Facebook group did you get this from? All the pictures I've seen are from the Instagram user heidelraquel

As far as jumping, my Asian 'pedes (like my now very jealous mint-legs) can crack their body like a whip and flail about, but centipedes do not possess any means to jump. However, I agree with the statement that centipedes can both rear up to their full height and whip about. Unless, of course, it can actually jump, and that means I want one even more. :)
The "resembles" more like a fish leaping on land lol. It's not controlled, it's more like a sudden flick, but still pretty high (10 inches high). It caught my attention because I havent seen any pedes that jump like this.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
The "resembles" more like a fish leaping on land lol. It's not controlled, it's more like a sudden flick, but still pretty high (10 inches high). It caught my attention because I havent seen any pedes that jump like this.
Amazing! Even more reason to capture, observe, and conserve beautiful species like this.

I've heard this sp. is very rare, how many have you seen?

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Amazing! Even more reason to capture, observe, and conserve beautiful species like this.

I've heard this sp. is very rare, how many have you seen?

They were fairly abundant in that area - practically every 5th rock inspected yielded 2 or 3 of them. They are absent elsewhere for some reason. :)