Blatta latoralis questions

thesillynames

Arachnopeon
Hi
I have been breeding red runner roaches for about 3 weeks now and i have seen some eggs but i think i have to clean the encloser and add new eggcrates so i was woundering how do you guys seperate eggs from soil without throwing them away.
Thanks

PelesAsher

Arachnopeon
Just tap off the roaches in your enclosure and add new crates. If they have fouled up their enclosure in 3 weeks you might need something bigger to put them in. I rarely have to clean my colony and they are only in a 10 gallon.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I use a home depot bucket, or similar, with the bottom cut out and screen material in it's place, which I then place into another bucket. I first remove the colony and place all of them them in a holding bucket or tub and toss out the old egg crates. I then poor everything in the bottom of their enclosure into home depot bucket sifting out the waste and leaving any of the "egg pods" or nymphs. The "egg pods" and nymphs stay on top. I then clean their enclosure and take the colony back to the their original enclosure with new egg crates, where I them poor in "egg pods" and nymphs. I reward them with a homemade roach chow mix (oats and cat food) and maybe an orange or a sliced apples, but definitely add water crystals. Last step is placing them back on some heat and done! FYI, I don't use substrate. As my colony gets bigger I might to allow for a cleanup crew like spring tails or a isopods, but for now I'm good.