Blatta lateralis questions

LdLrLyChLd

Arachnosquire
Read some articles and posts on this site and still have some questions about b.lateralis in general and breeding them.

-at what point do males grow their wings? My last winged roach died today and I’m hopeful a few females are already pregnant, or that some of the larger ones have just haven’t sprouted their wings.
-do they stress out easily? I open their cage daily to hydrate, it’s dry here and the crystals and fruit dry up daily with 85degrees so I refill them. Is this bad practice?
-anyone have opinions or photos of egg case incubation? Mine have laid many eggs but quickly crinkle and never hatch
-what is too crowded? I have about 75 and have 8-10 toilet paper rolls

Thanks for reading, I’ve been gathering some of these questions for weeks now lol

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Males grow their wings when they molt to adulthood (females too)
I've found that lats don't get too stressed. It sounds like your care is good, though you may want to bump up the humidity to get the ooths to hatch.
You can pull the ooths and put them in a separate container with damp paper towels and that'll encourage them to hatch. Otherwise try to bump up the humidity in the enclosure.
That doesn't sound too crowded, I think it's fine.

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
I started out with a colony of about 120, now, about four months later its grown to nearly 800+! I pick the egg cases (ootheca) out of my main container and place them in a couple of Braplast 1.3 ltr tubs, with a thin layer of sand/coco fibre mix on the bottom and a small piece of coconut shell to act like a shelter. I spray it once every couple of days (I spray the top of the coconut shell) and when they hatch i sprinkle a small amount of fish flake in there. I keep the tubs on top of my dart frogs terrarium light hood, so its nice and warm during the daytime. Hope this helps. :)

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Last edited:

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Red runners, man I leave them to be in a heated and well fed setting, they’ll breed enough!

LdLrLyChLd

Arachnosquire
They breed plenty for me! Always picking out ootheca, if I don’t, they crinkle quickly. I can’t seem to get a single ootheca to hatch. I’m planning on incubating them in several different ways, seems I need to start spraying them directly daily because they get so dented so quickly