1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blatta lateralis cannibalism?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by BoyFromLA, Jul 11, 2018.

1. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Advertisement
    This is something cuaght my eye just awhile ago as I was watching my B. lateralis colony. A couple of other roaches are attacking, and eating freshly molted roach. I know it happens a lot with crickets, but roaches?! This is very new to me.

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Yeah I've seen it happen from time to time with lateralis. Other species are more prone to cannibalism than others, usually when it happens it's from stress. What are your conditions like?

3. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    In a 6x6x6” acrylic case with a row of vent holes. Approximately hundred of them in mixed sizes, provided with egg crates as hides.

Feeding dried dog food once a week, occasionally sliced fresh vegetables.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Following this as I’m starting a colony as we speak!

5. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Hmm, I'd think that'd be fine. Maybe a bit more space, but I wouldn't think that would cause cannibalism. Hopefully it's just the random nibbling that they do and they aren't killing any of the freshly molted individuals.

6. LdLrLyChLd

LdLrLyChLd Arachnosquire

I read once that they start to eat the eggs if they feel they’re lacking protein. Maybe make sure they have higher volumes of food or easier access to that food so they’re not so tempted to eat something live whether it’s a roach or an incubating ootheca