Blaptica dubia ootheca question

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
So I just started on the Forums and am still figuring out how all this works.

Basically, I have been raising a small group of B. dubia roaches (6: so far 4 females, 1 male, 1 juvenile). I have had them for several months and they have been thriving. However, I recently cleaned the enclosure and found a half eaten ootheca amidst the roach droppings. I'm hoping to eventually have a thriving colony and was wondering if this was normal or a sign that I need to increase the amount of protein in their diet or some other possibility. I keep them in a critter keeper in a brown paper bag, to keep them in the dark, next to my bearded dragon's heat lamp to keep them warm, (temperature falls down to maybe 65 at night), and I have them eating commercial Tadpole food that I had leftover from last spring and the occasional few slices of yellow squash. For water I have a milk jug lid full of water crystals that I refill regularly.

If any of this raises a red flag I would like to change it.

Thanks,
Beedrill

Boomie

Arachnopeon
The temperature needs to stay around high 70's to almost 90's. (I breed commercially and we keep around at 86-87 degrees) Anything lower will cause them to abort the ootheca. They can thrive at any temperature, really. But, to breed they need to be 80 or hotter. Our rooms stay around 28 C with 70% humidity.

Redmont

The collector
I bet the temps during the day are just fine and would allow for them to mate. But those night time temps will prevent the young from developing. Maybe you could find a more permanent heat sourse. Or use a heat mat attached to a rheostat

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I'd think a nighttime temp drop would be OK, they shouldn't abort oothecae just because of that, and it replicates a more natural heat gradient. I'd recommend adding more fruits to the diet, as Blaberids like these seem to breed best with fruit in their diet.

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
Hey everybody,
Sorry for never replying, i kinda forgot all about it after a while :T

Anyway, i took everyone's suggestions and I got them their own personal heat source, ditched the paper bag and substituted in a dark corner+light barries, increased food variety, and added in some very small bits of meat just in case protein was indeed an issue.

The last juvenile shed into an adult male about a month ago (4 females:2 males) and i now have two broods of little roachlings skittering about the enclosure! The first batch have already shed twice i think! Can't wait for more to come!

I wanted to thank everyone for helping me out; I really appreciate it!

Beedrill