User BlackWidow2112’s Photo Thread

BlackWidow2112

Arachnopeon
Maya, Aphonopelma seemanni. This is her second molt in my care. :happy: Only reason I know it’s a female is she laid eggs in the first month of my having her. I had NO idea she was gravid, and she ended up eating the sac as I was not prepared so nor was her enclosure.

Pat, Grammostola rosea. Just one molt in my care so far.

Morú, my Lasiodora parahybana sling. Also the first molt in my care!:happy:

I’m very excited to have three finally. Especially a sling! Prior to these three I’ve had two other full grown rosea’s, so I’m nervous about the skill level going into a Lasiodora but I’m feeling good so far. Any tips are appreciated, I look forward to learning from all the experienced keepers here!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I’m very excited to have three finally. Especially a sling! Prior to these three I’ve had two other full grown rosea’s, so I’m nervous about the skill level going into a Lasiodora but I’m feeling good so far. Any tips are appreciated, I look forward to learning from all the experienced keepers here!
LP is a hardy species. The main difference between sling care and adult care is that slings always need some moisture, because they haven't yet developed the waxy layer on their cuticle that prevents them from losing moisture through their cuticle. Once they develop this layer (1.5" or so, maybe earlier for some arid species like GBB), you can transition to the adult moisture requirements.

To prevent your sling from desiccating, just slightly dampen the substrate and limit ventilation. If you're running the heater, be sure to stay on top of the moisture level in the container, as it may dry out more quickly than you expect.

As for feeding, I give my slings small mealworms (with the heads crushed to prevent bites or burrowing) about twice a week. You can also use tiny crickets, roaches, or pieces of larger feeder insects (such as cricket drumsticks).

This sling is only 3/4" and is eating a tiny live mealworm.

All of the usual safety precautions apply (for example, pre-crush a mealworm's head). Some slings will take live prey, and you can offer something that is the size of the spider's abdomen or smaller. When offering live prey, make sure the sling actually kills the prey item; do not leave live prey unattended with slings.

If your sling is too timid to hunt, most will accept pre-killed prey. Just place all or part of a prey item in the container for the sling to find. This is also the safest feeding approach, as there is no risk of pre-killed prey injuring your sling.

Since the container will be slightly moist, you should remove any uneaten prey (or parts of prey) to prevent mold from growing. (Mold is often harmless in small amounts but is unsightly.)

Tomoran recently posted a helpful guide for people who are new to slings (long but worth watching, IMO):