Black Widows

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I dont know that I actually BREED them but we keep them and if there is a male we'll pair them up and if not we just keep em around. We generally put the egg sacks outside in the woodpile and keep the females as pets. This winter I only have one...but its eating fine and doing great.
Michelle

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Xcuse me, does your name have anything t do with Don Rosa's story???

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thats neat Michele! If I had them around here I would
do the same. I just think they are so neat! I remember
the first one I saw in NC and was amazed at how
big they were! On some of the girls, their abdomens
were almost as big as a quarter.
Sharon

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey genius_gr, we aren't familiar with that story.
I think she chose it because its the name of one
of her favorite songs by the "Rush" and she
just likes the name.
Sharon

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There's this comix book that I collect and that often bublished Don Rosa's stories. One of my favorites in called "Return to Xanadu". The ducks go back to that heavenly place in...... don't remember, nepal?? And ruin the place once more.....

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do not breed black widow but i have a female black widow with a big butt...lol

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm looking in to getting a black widow. I've kept them before and I'd love to have another one..I think they are fascinating! I'm just not sure on how to aquire one since they are not usually in my area. So I figured maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.

Laura

ps. um.....don't female black widows usually
have a big butt? ;) :D

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
By the way,

There is a band from Canada named Rush. One of their songs is called "Xanadu", its my favorite.

Laura

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Xanidu is a place described in the poem Kubla Khan by Samuel Coleridge. I think this is the orgin of the word.

It's also the name of the mansion in Citizen Kane.

Wade

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone know anything about the laws of keeping black widows in Europe? Do you kneed a DWA lisence? I've never seen them for sale on breeders lists. I'd definitely like to get one, i find them really interesting.

Cheers,

Dan.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
Xanidu is a place described in the poem Kubla Khan by Samuel Coleridge. I think this is the orgin of the word.

It's also the name of the mansion in Citizen Kane.

Wade
Rosa usually makes a huge research before writing a story and most probably thats where he got the name.

"In 1780 , Samuel Taylor Colridge wrote a poem titled"kubla Khan", insired by by books that even then were ancient.
"In the 15th century, S.Pourkas wrote about Xanadu in the celendars of his trips. Colridge was astinished by those texts"
Say the ducks.

See? Rosa allways does his homework.