Black Widows are Awsome!

JonCherba

Arachnopeon
I just bought a young Black Widow from the pet shop across the street. I have been keeping her in the deli container she cam ein but i added a few sticks inside the container which she made a nice web in right away. I just bought 20 large crickets and i put one in her cage and she attacted it right away throwing web all over it imobilizing it. about an hour later she has the large cricket off the bottom suspended in mid air in her nice web. I'm hoping she starts feeding on him soon.

I have been watching her constantly. Very fun to watch. I'm planning on making a small clear acrylic cube in which to keep her in. this cube will be inside of my computer case visible threw windows. Hopfully soon i can get a nice webcam and mount it to where it is always live on a webpage i will start here soon. How can i tell how old or approximetly how old she is. How often should i feed her. Where can i get a male to mate with her. I really would like to breed and sell these Black Widows. Ho wmuch do they normally run for online?

Thanks,
JonCherba

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
JonCherba said:
I really would like to breed and sell these Black Widows. Ho wmuch do they normally run for online?

Thanks,
JonCherba
Breeding: Easy
Selling: DIFFICULT

Breeding tarantulas/scorpions/spiders is by no means a good way of making cash.

But, if you manage to turn a profit after feeding a lot of tiny little babies, and selling them at the cheapest prices imaginable online, you will have done the near impossible. At least in my opinion! :rolleyes:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards! And, please, stop making us laugh so hard :p LOL

I paid priority shipping for a large egg laying machine. I take the egg sack away, and next thing I know, she's got another one. You might get lucky and sell 2 or 3, but you will lose money and many, many hours out of your life. Easier work can be found at any McDonalds or WalMart

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
JonCherba said:
I just bought a young Black Widow from the pet shop across the street. I have been keeping her in the deli container she cam ein but i added a few sticks inside the container which she made a nice web in right away. I just bought 20 large crickets and i put one in her cage and she attacted it right away throwing web all over it imobilizing it. about an hour later she has the large cricket off the bottom suspended in mid air in her nice web. I'm hoping she starts feeding on him soon.

I have been watching her constantly. Very fun to watch. I'm planning on making a small clear acrylic cube in which to keep her in. this cube will be inside of my computer case visible threw windows. Hopfully soon i can get a nice webcam and mount it to where it is always live on a webpage i will start here soon. How can i tell how old or approximetly how old she is. How often should i feed her. Where can i get a male to mate with her. I really would like to breed and sell these Black Widows. Ho wmuch do they normally run for online?

Thanks,
JonCherba
If your looking for a male. Look no further I can fufill your needs.
Also Black widows take about 90 days to mature and I breed/sell them like mad. So far they also seem to be subsceptable to Selective breeding. I second the hard to sell bit. becuase their so commen. I normaly give em away for next to nothing..perhaps a buck or two extra for the spider.
PM if your intrested in adult/juvie males or females I'll make sure you get what yer looking for :)

JonCherba

Arachnopeon
I'm also a webdesigner and I'm thinking about a nice website for my new hobby! I was wondering if anybody on this board has any clue how to get a webcam that shows my beauty 24/7 on the website im gonna make?

Right now her abdomen is huge and has changed form a nice high gloss black to a high gloss brown. I guess she is getting bigger form the food. LOL. Is there any way to mate her with another type of spider? That would be crazy if you could mate her with a nice tarantula. LOL. Crazy I know. But think of the possibilities. I'm not gonna try unless its possible. I would like to breed new color variations. I'm still new, I'm dreaming here. If they can make a bunny glow under a black light, hits is definetly possible just crazy hard.

The cube she will be moving into inside my computer will be black on the bottom,back, right side, maybe the top depending on how i do the lighting. I know i need some bright light for the webcam. The front and the left side will be crystal clear acrylic. When i do the custom case i will be making the left side a window for viewing along with the front. I more then likly for lighting will just use a few bright LED's (white). then on the left side of the case i will have a crazy airbrushed black widow and the hour glass will be a partial window into the case and will be lit red. I might have some other stuff doen but im still in the design phase.

Any ideas? Feel free to email me or post your ideas on the computer case or anything else. I'm alos designing computer cases for other arachnids or other creatures.

Thanks,
JonCherba

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's definately not possible to cross one with a tarantula, this would be like crossing a housecat with a bear. Way too distantly related to even be remotely possible. It may be possible to cross them with other Latrodectus sp., but not likley. I'm guessing yours is probably L. hesperus if it was locally collected.

If she's an adult, chances are she's already mated and will produce many viable eggsacs without you having to do anything. If you're willing to raise up the tiny babies (which are worth practically nothing), you might be able to sell adults or large immatures for $5 to $10 each. Not much of a return on the time invested, but it might be fun.

Wade

JonCherba

Arachnopeon
Update!

I just got back form the pet store! I just bought a very young Mexican Red Knee, and a Costa Rican Zebra (adult or close to it). I was wondering if anybody can tell me anything special i should know about the zebra so i can properly car for it. I also need a really info packed site on the care and overall info about both, Zebra more. I will post osme pics with my crappy webcam Later.

Thanks,
JonCherba

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
JonCherba said:
I just got back form the pet store! I just bought a very young Mexican Red Knee, and a Costa Rican Zebra (adult or close to it). I was wondering if anybody can tell me anything special i should know about the zebra so i can properly car for it. I also need a really info packed site on the care and overall info about both, Zebra more. I will post osme pics with my crappy webcam Later.

Thanks,
JonCherba
Do a search in the Tarantula form. There is plenty of info on both of these common species in there. This form is for arachnids other than Scorpions and Tarantulas.

John
];')