Black Widow Tragedy

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in a warm part of Western Canada where black widows are very common. I kept one in a jar for about 5 months and it grew quite large, moulting a few times. She ate about 3 crickets a week. She was very fast and vewry aggressive and she was fat. I didnt want to clean her jar because i wasnt very down with getting bit so i let the bodies gather on the bottom. They sat there and got pretty pettrified. One day she went to the bottom to snatch up a new morsel when her fat abdomen struck the back leg of a discarded grasshopper and she burst and died. I was sad.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, Jacen-

Losing one of my inverts is always hard, I think.

:(

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:(

Really sorry to hear about that... :( Im always very sad when Latrodectus die, they are such incredible and beautiful spiders.

Alex S.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can get another one quite easily because they are easy to find in this area if you know where to look. I wish they babies were not so small so that i could breed them because the males and females are strikingly different yerboth are easy to get.

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
JacenBeers -

where do you look to find them? i'm down by vancouver, i've never seen a black widow, and i spend a lot of time outdoors. i'd love to have one but it seems i'm at the point where i'd have to buy one, or i could go drive for a few hours to kamloops...

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You wont find them in Vancouver. It is too moist and the weather is too cold there in the summer time. Kamloops has lots. If you ever want one I can try and get one and send it to you.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Sorry for the loss of your little widow :( I had a hobo spider in a jar once and my cat knocked it over and the spider got a puncture and it cleaned the wound but died 2 days later as a result. I was very angry at my cat, and sad too. I burried the little spider out in the garden so that it would be recycled. :(