Black widow eggsac

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Should i let them hatch themselves or should I cut the eggsac ??
Thanks

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they are not with the mother anymore ! its just the eggsacs !

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've hatched about 10 or so eggsacks so far and opened only two of them.
If left alone they will make a small hole by themselves and climb out :)
But there may have been some cannibalism inside the eggsack before they hatch and I've found that there are usually fewer (about 100 instead of 150-200) and larger spiderlings emerging from the sac when I let them hatch by themselves.

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the female is the biter chich! and thats rearely, if shes invaded into a tight space she will try to bite her way out, and the other time is when shes guarding a sack..or maybe just mistaking you for food, congratulations on the new critters i wish i lived inda US :rolleyes:

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i just removed the piece of Kix cereal from the widow's clutch. she was pretty much a coward when i started tugging at the twig it was on.
how fragile are these sacks?
are they safe enough to ship as an egg sack? or are they too fragile?

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are not fragile but the eggs inside may get crushed if the sac is squeezed. Shipping is possible, put the sac in a small cup with some soft material around it (toilet paper, cotton etc.). Just make sure the cup is escape proof in case the very small spiderlings will hatch during shipping :)

On of my L. hesperus:

Attachments

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i did that once with L.tredecimguttatus, only one difference
IT WASNT INTENTIONAL!!!!
your a nutter :p

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man, there are so many of those in my garage and under my garden hose, I just kill them. And you're trying to hatch them?!

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
El Johano said:
Ha ha, they are not as bad as their reputation :)
No arachnid ever is, but do you really want to take the off chance of having to visit the hospital? :)

Chris

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Johanno, you're brave, hahahaha.
Man, please, post more photos of your widows, they're so nice!!!

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
El Johano said:
They are not fragile but the eggs inside may get crushed if the sac is squeezed. Shipping is possible, put the sac in a small cup with some soft material around it (toilet paper, cotton etc.). Just make sure the cup is escape proof in case the very small spiderlings will hatch during shipping :)

On of my L. hesperus:
Not a snowballs chance in hell would I keep a black widow.....BURN THE EGG SAC....NOOOW!!!!!!! :eek:

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well I guess after only the strong survive i will have about 50 or 100 . I guess I will just keep them . they are damn kewl ,. They are kewl to watch them get those crikets also . They seem to not mind being kept in the cages . The only bad thing with the babys is when ever I open it up for feeding like 10 of them run out :( Might have to get some bug spray . I dont think they live that long anyways . we have winters here so they will die come winter :) The ones that made a run for it .

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no idea . Maybe someone could answer better then me :) I have to read up on them a little more . LD50 (mg/kg) mice 0.90 . If that tells you anything .

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kenniey said:
Might have to get some bug spray . I dont think they live that long anyways . we have winters here so they will die come winter :) The ones that made a run for it .
Well, they wouldn't have to if they could breed again. You'd have a small, inbred colony of black widows ;)

More seriously, maybe you should refrain from opening the container for feeding until they're bigger. They would probably eat each other, even if you do feed them other things.

Chris