Black Widow Egg Sac

Juanita Charter

Arachnopeon
123724A0-1671-439B-89E8-736DF06065B4.jpeg I just joined this forum and am interested to hear from those who have experience with Black Widows and their egg sacs.
One of my Black Widows (Minerva...pictured above) produced an egg sac close to 11/29/17.
I am uncertain as to whether or not it is fertilized, as I know female Black Widows have the ability to store sperm.
I know Black Widow spiderlings have their first molt inside the egg sac at 10-20 days and then chew a hole in the sac from which they emerge. This has not happened...yet.
I peered in to where Minerva has positioned the sac (which is mostly hidden) a couple days ago and discovered there are now TWO sacs.
(I described her habitat in detail on my profile page if anyone is interested).
Since discovering the sac, I have been contemplating removing it from her enclosure, but what then?
The thought of destroying the sacs breaks my heart, but I fear I may have to unless someone has better advice?
As I mentioned previously, they may not even be fertilized...but there IS that possibility.
I have some Praying Mantis ootheca that I will keep refrigerated until spring, at which time they can hatch outdoors as it is freezing cold where I live right now. I’ve never heard of this being a possibility with Black Widows, but has anyone else?
Thank You :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm letting the widow experts chime in here. But going by the shape of that abdomen, you have more bundles of joy in your future.

Juanita Charter

Arachnopeon
I'm letting the widow experts chime in here. But going by the shape of that abdomen, you have more bundles of joy in your future.
That was the pre-egg sac abdomen...she’s pretty deflated now. She was huge prior to the first one; then appeared emaciated. Sixteen days and five crickets later, she was again, huge. Shortly after, I found the second sac.
Hopefully, she’s done for a while.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If the sac is fertile it will hatch soon.. My girls first sac hatched about 30 days at a room temp of 78 up to 85.. I don't think you can keep the sac dormant by chilling it.. I'm not positive though.

They can lay sacs numbering in the double digits so of your girl only has two it's likely just the beginning :).. My female has hung four in the last month..

Juanita Charter

Arachnopeon
Lol...I’m fairly certain both of my widows are Latrodectus mactans although it is often difficult to differentiate between mactans and hesperus. If I observe any rooting behavior, I’ll save you a truffle

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I assume she's WC? If so and if she hasn't molted in your care I can just about guarantee they're fertile. Putting them in the fridge may slow down development, but it doesn't guarantee anything. I'd expect the first sac to hatch any day now since it has been about a month. If it looks like it's getting bigger or darker then it's getting close. You can slow down sac production by spacing out meals.

In terms of what to do with the sacs, I'd recommend removing them and placing them in their own container (I use 32 oz deli cups with my widow sacs). If you don't want to keep them and don't want to destroy them I'm sure someone here on AB would be interested as long as you don't mind packing and shipping them.

Juanita Charter

Arachnopeon
Holy yipes. What we have here is Sus Hesperus. Don't be surprised if her or her kids start rooting in the dirt for truffles.
Know what? You ARE correct...Minerva IS Latrodectus Hesperus...my Carolyn Jones is Latrodectus mactans. Aside from the difference in markings, their temperament is much different. Carolyn Jones is much more laid back. Thank you for making me think and reconsider. Again, if the rooting starts, I’m saving you a truffle

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 261124 I just joined this forum and am interested to hear from those who have experience with Black Widows and their egg sacs.
One of my Black Widows (Minerva...pictured above) produced an egg sac close to 11/29/17.
I am uncertain as to whether or not it is fertilized, as I know female Black Widows have the ability to store sperm.
I know Black Widow spiderlings have their first molt inside the egg sac at 10-20 days and then chew a hole in the sac from which they emerge. This has not happened...yet.
I peered in to where Minerva has positioned the sac (which is mostly hidden) a couple days ago and discovered there are now TWO sacs.
(I described her habitat in detail on my profile page if anyone is interested).
Since discovering the sac, I have been contemplating removing it from her enclosure, but what then?
The thought of destroying the sacs breaks my heart, but I fear I may have to unless someone has better advice?
As I mentioned previously, they may not even be fertilized...but there IS that possibility.
I have some Praying Mantis ootheca that I will keep refrigerated until spring, at which time they can hatch outdoors as it is freezing cold where I live right now. I’ve never heard of this being a possibility with Black Widows, but has anyone else?
Thank You :)
Good on you for caring for them. With the influx of invasive Latrodectus geometricus driving out the native Latrodectus spp. in some places we need all the native Latrodectus spp. we can get.

Juanita Charter

Arachnopeon
I assume she's WC? If so and if she hasn't molted in your care I can just about guarantee they're fertile. Putting them in the fridge may slow down development, but it doesn't guarantee anything. I'd expect the first sac to hatch any day now since it has been about a month. If it looks like it's getting bigger or darker then it's getting close. You can slow down sac production by spacing out meals.

In terms of what to do with the sacs, I'd recommend removing them and placing them in their own container (I use 32 oz deli cups with my widow sacs). If you don't want to keep them and don't want to destroy them I'm sure someone here on AB would be interested as long as you don't mind packing and shipping them.
Thank You