Black purseweb in Michigan

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Check mature forests (lots of oaks) and just check the bases of trees carefully to try to find the web tunnels up the sides. It's definitely a game of patience and there's no real guarantee you'll find any. If you're out around the time mature males are wandering that'll help give you an idea if they're present or not.

Check mature forests (lots of oaks) and just check the bases of trees carefully to try to find the web tunnels up the sides. It's definitely a game of patience and there's no real guarantee you'll find any. If you're out around the time mature males are wandering that'll help give you an idea if they're present or not.
I thought Spodros niger was found more in open fields, undisturbed. Is there another species of purseweb in Michigan?

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Might be Sphodros rufipes present. Check inaturalist. Apparently you also have a trapdoor spider if you are looking for other mygalomorphs.

I live in the Oakland county area of Michigan in waterford, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a city or town they have been spotted in?

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
If you live in a city, places to find it may be further away because of the habitat they require

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I thought Spodros niger was found more in open fields, undisturbed. Is there another species of purseweb in Michigan?
Hmm, I may be getting my species mixed up then. There's a chance you'll be able to find S. rufipes too though. That said, Sphodros and other mygalomorphs tend to be incredibly undersampled, so there's a good chance that you'll be able to find them elsewhere. BugGuide and iNaturalist together should help you start piecing together a map, but they won't be anywhere close to complete.

Loops117

Arachnopeon
Oh hey, you guys are near me! I'm always out and about looking for bugs at kensington metro. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Oh hey, you guys are near me! I'm always out and about looking for bugs at kensington metro. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Thank you very kindly, but I recently moved to Houghton Lake near Clare county. Please do report any findings as this is important for my research.

I was working at a house with a small lake in the back yard and the weather was about 80 that day and the area is a little woodsy.
That makes sense with what I've read. Keep documenting your findings fellow arachnophiles, the more information we can share the more we will learn about this mysterious little spider...