Black Lampropelma question

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have two Lampropelma borneo black adult females. One even gave me a few babies last year. Just wanted to ask.

What is the basic difference between the Lampropelma borneo black and the Lampropelma nigerrimum? Some sites I google on say they're one and the same but some sellers from Europe sell them separately.

Pardon for posting it here. I hope to get some answers and comments.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have two Lampropelma borneo black adult females. One even gave me a few babies last year. Just wanted to ask.

What is the basic difference between the Lampropelma borneo black and the Lampropelma nigerrimum? Some sites I google on say they're one and the same but some sellers from Europe sell them separately.

Pardon for posting it here. I hope to get some answers and comments.
They are two totally different sp. One comes from the island of Sangihe and the other comes from Kalimantan and Borneo. L. sp. "Borneo Black" is a much larger sp. as well. L. nigerrimum maxes out at about 6.5" and L. sp. "Borneo Black" at 8"+.

L. sp. "Borneo Black"

L. nigerrimum

Another easy way to tell them apart is by comparing the mature males. L. nigerrimum has abdominal striping that is not present on L. sp. "Borneo Black". Also, L. nigerrimum slings are sexually dimorphic after just a few molts.

No abdominal striping:
L. sp. "Borneo Black" MM

Abdominal striping:
L. nigerrimum MM

I don't have a side by side comparison of L. sp. "Borneo Black" but I think there is one floating around somewhere on the T-forum. Chris might also have some side by side comparison shots as well.

Here's a side by side comparison of a juvie male and juvie female L. nigerrimum that both measure around 2":

You can actually tell them apart at about 1".

TexasTreeViper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's a side by side comparison of a juvie male and juvie female L. nigerrimum that both measure around 2":

You can actually tell them apart at about 1".
I've read/heard that L.sp. "Borneo Black" can also easily be sexed when they'e small due to the early color change in females. Do you know if it is possibly as early as ~1"?

LV-426

Arachnobaron
In the side by side pic above, is the male on the left/female on the right?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've read/heard that L.sp. "Borneo Black" can also easily be sexed when they'e small due to the early color change in females. Do you know if it is possibly as early as ~1"?
Read Søren Rafn's post here.

In the side by side pic above, is the male on the left/female on the right?
Female on left, male on right.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
[Melampirkan = penuh] 233966 [/ melampirkan]
How do you think about this Nigerrimum Lampropelma image? whether F or M?
This thread is five years old. Also, wrong section, sexing pictures go in the sexing gallery.
And a word of caution...i wouldn't handle this species, it has potent venom and is generally defensive and not afraid to bite.
Lastly, it is Lampropelma nigerrimum ;)