1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bizarre escape

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by cold blood, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enrgy

Enrgy Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    just another one of those 'across the pond' things i suppose lol

Edit: since u said the door was on tightly as shud be, my theory is just that it opened it lol? another case where we underestimated their strength and determination?:hilarious:

Edit#2: i have revised my theory lol. The other slot on the top right that holds the little door in place is broken? so i assume that aided in it's escape? or maybe it's late and i shud be off the internet...

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  2. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I have several and all of them have two intact tabs.
    DSC04070.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Enrgy

Enrgy Arachnosquire Active Member

forgive me if i was incorrect, as my 4am brain never works correctly, even after my numerous attempts of training...:troll: but i thought u all were talking about the piece of the clear door that extends into that turquoise open slot there. if not, once again my apologies :)

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

I had a GBB escape from a kritter keeper and have never used another one. I am surprised at how small of a hole they can fit through.

You should name that one Houdini, LOL. Glad you found it.

5. Clareesi

Clareesi Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

Shes just a polite spood. She opened her door and then shut it again! My kids could learn a thing or two from her.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster

USA
    You have a magical tarantula.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

That's so weird. Maybe it's like Neo in the Matrix. "There is no spoon" aka "There is no plastic lock". We always knew Pokies could teleport, apparently Bumba cabocla really can!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. SuzukiSwift

SuzukiSwift Arachnoprince Active Member

This whole thread has been an entertaining read lol

I would also vote that she pushed the door open, it is the only possible explanation (within reason, it’s possible someone crept into the room, set her free, closed the lid again and crept away cackling to them self)

9. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

both locked down

nothing is broken

it does

Right, but then it snapped it back shut....not possible.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
  10. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

Glad to hear you found it lol.

That was a great game last night man, I think the Bucks will meet GS in the finals. Kawhi is carrying the Raptors right now, but its not enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

My eyes must be even more broken than I thought because that looks like one of the tabs that lock the clear hatch into place is missing/broken.

20190517_234326.jpg

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Beer Beer x 1
  12. cold blood

Well you are correct....that musta been it....good eye....but heres the thing, even when pressed, the other side pops well before there is space...i would have thought the top would have opened completely if it pushed through.

Amazing...that had to be its exit point...crazy that its been in there 1.5 years and in the few days prior to re housing it suddenly gets free.

• Like Like x 2
  13. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

See, we don’t know what they do when we’re not in the spider room. It’s probably just like those animated movies about pets and toys. They let each other out, hang out, talk, party, and when we come back they run back to their places. You just surprised them as they didn’t realize the game was over. The Bumba was the lookout and got caught. No big mystery.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

it was @VanessaS who spotted it, I just thought to point it out in the pic as there seemed to be some confusion

• Like Like x 1
  15. cold blood

true....i literally never noticed...the darn things always such a pain to open i never would have thought.

props @VanessaS

16. VanessaS

I am often up in the wee hours of the morning and I get to see many of my tarantulas at their most active. In nearly every single case where I am pushing them being in an enclosure that is getting too small, mostly because I am waiting for them to have one more moult before rehousing, I watch them testing the boundaries of their enclosures looking for weaknesses. It doesn't really happen in cases where they are in a home with lots of room, but it happens frequently with those who are needing rehousing. I notice that weakness searching in those cases even more than I do with my wandering mature males, although I have heard more than one case where a mature male has popped the lid to his enclosure and I either put elastic bands around them or stack other enclosures on top of them.
    I find it simply amazing that she found a way out, if that was what she escaped through, and that she hadn't done it before when the enclosure provided her with ample room.

• Like Like x 2
  17. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

I prefer to think it made the plastic lock disappear with its mind. :angelic: You never know, it could be a Jedi Master.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. cold blood

I'm thinking the last time I popped the top to feed just prior to the escape is when that latch snapped...I swear it was there previously.

• Like Like x 1
  19. VanessaS

They are designed very poorly and cheaply and there are far better options for a latch. I could see one of those tabs breaking off without someone noticing. I do have a couple of smaller arboreal species in them, tilted up on one end, and I never use that door. I also use a couple for my crickets and I always open the entire lid.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Well, now you have a name for it: Houdini.

It made itself easy to be found, because it wanted you to know that it can escape any time.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.