Bizarre escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold blood

Staff member
So I had the most bizarre experience walking into my tarantula room tonight. Haven't been in there all day, and after the Bucks game tonight I decided to go in and do a quick rounds as I usually do at least once a day.

I opened the door to have my hand greeted with webbing. Immediately I assumed the tiny escaped Avic that is roaming to room somewhere had made it home by the door. As I looked I saw nothing, then on the door handle I start going through a towel and bandana I had hanging there from the dog assuming that little Avic was amongst the cutter.

Much to my shock, instead I found my sub adult 3.5" B. cabocla, sitting there. Amazed, not only that it was found so easily, but that it was out, I assumed I must have done something stupid like left the lid open.

However, upon inspection I found its kritter keeper in total lockdown. The top was on tightly, the door on top was clicked on tightly, yet somehow this magic tarantula manage to get out and I can't make any sense of how it did this. I had just fed it yesterday and when I looked last it was eating a superworm in this locked enclosure.

Do cabicla have teleportation powers or something?

So not only a baffling escape but it's shockingly easy find and return. Anybody ever had this happen with a kritter keeper before?

20190517_231131.jpg I wonder how long it was roaming, as it made it down off the display case, to the door, and oddly made its self comfortable vertically on the door.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Judging by the picture, it escaped for a reason. It's telling you it's time for a rehouse, it's a big girl now. :troll::rolleyes:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That is very disconcerting. Although I don't normally use them, I have used them for smaller than 3.5" spiders thinking it was safe. My guess is that she somehow squeezed out of those slats. What else could have happened if everything was locked down?

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
i swear i dream of moments like this happening lol. almost like dejavu. reason i keep books on those i worry about. raptors in 6 tho:troll:

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Judging by the picture, it escaped for a reason. It's telling you it's time for a rehouse, it's a big girl now. :troll::rolleyes:
I actually cleaned out a larger enclosure for it just a couple days ago for the re house.

My guess is that she somehow squeezed out of those slats.
Impossible. Its big and stupidly fat...if this was a 2" t or under, maybe...but this fatty....no way.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I actually cleaned out a larger enclosure for it just a couple days ago for the re house.
So then she knows about her upcoming home and she left ahead of you to find her new home. :rolleyes:

Talk about intellectual spiders... Yours is trained well. :cigar:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Is the handle still on? If not, maaaaybe the space for the handle was just big enough for an escape?!

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
My guess is that it popped the plastic lid open and the weight of the spider walking on it closed it again.

cold blood

Staff member
My guess is that it popped the plastic lid open and the weight of the spider walking on it closed it again.
It was locked down tight...in classic KK fashion, i couldnt even get it off. The t isnt heavy...lol

raptors in 6 tho:troll:
Raptors couldn't win 4 times if they played 50 games...lmao

Is the handle still on? If not, maaaaybe the space for the handle was just big enough for an escape?!
you can see the size of the holes and the size of the t beneath it.....not possible, even if it was a gummy spider.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Is this a trick question? Do you know the answer, but are just playing with us? Maybe the holes where the handle was are big enough? Put a motion sensor camera on her and see if she does it again and the mystery will be solved.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Bumba cabocla sounds like a Star Wars character, therefore I can only conclude that it used the force, to ascertain its freedom.

cold blood

Staff member
No, its a complete mystery.

I'm telling you if I was in your position I would be making the same speculations you all are, but if you all saw what I'm seeing you wouldn't be making these guesses and would see it as impossible as i do.

There are no slats or openings even remotely close to being able to fit this t through. Nothing broke, chewed or cracked....i litetally am about to call ripleys on this one.

As liquifin noted, its actually out grown the enclosure.

My only thought is that somebody intentionally left it out, but I live alone and the dog lacks the opposable thumbs to get the job done.

Bumba cabocla sounds like a Star Wars character, therefore I can only conclude that it used the force, to ascertain its freedom.
Best guess yet as far as I'm concerned.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
One of the plastic tab things that keeps the clear door closed looks like it is missing. Could she have pushed that corner up enough to squeeze through, without it being completely unlatched?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I had the most bizarre experience walking into my tarantula room tonight. Haven't been in there all day, and after the Bucks game tonight I decided to go in and do a quick rounds as I usually do at least once a day.

I opened the door to have my hand greeted with webbing. Immediately I assumed the tiny escaped Avic that is roaming to room somewhere had made it home by the door. As I looked I saw nothing, then on the door handle I start going through a towel and bandana I had hanging there from the dog assuming that little Avic was amongst the cutter.

Much to my shock, instead I found my sub adult 3.5" B. cabocla, sitting there. Amazed, not only that it was found so easily, but that it was out, I assumed I must have done something stupid like left the lid open.

However, upon inspection I found its kritter keeper in total lockdown. The top was on tightly, the door on top was clicked on tightly, yet somehow this magic tarantula manage to get out and I can't make any sense of how it did this. I had just fed it yesterday and when I looked last it was eating a superworm in this locked enclosure.

Do cabicla have teleportation powers or something?

So not only a baffling escape but it's shockingly easy find and return. Anybody ever had this happen with a kritter keeper before?

View attachment 308821 I wonder how long it was roaming, as it made it down off the display case, to the door, and oddly made its self comfortable vertically on the door.
Call Agent Fox Mulder and Agent Dana Scully! This is clearly something X files related!:angelic:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My guess is that she somehow squeezed out of those slats.
The vents? The slits are thinner on the inside due to how the vents are tapered, even 1" slings can't get out through them IME.

The holes under where the handles slot in are prime escape routes though so I tape over them.

That's how my 2" smithi male got out.

One of the plastic tab things that keeps the clear door closed looks like it is missing. Could she have pushed that corner up enough to squeeze through, without it being completely unlatched?
I think we have a winner.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
guys it's supposed to have one plastic tab thingy. although that is probably how it escaped, it's supposed to have one. that's how they're made.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
guys it's supposed to have one plastic tab thingy. although that is probably how it escaped, it's supposed to have one. that's how they're made.
Odd if that's the case, all the ones I have have 2 tabs to keep the lid shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.