Bite?

DustinS85

Arachnopeon
Has any of your T's bit you? What species and what was the effects on you?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I have not been tagged BUT i believe in the reports section of AB there is an entire area for bite reports which may be of interest to you.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This.

But. If you're asking about how venomous tarantulas are, then the answer is a bit more involved than you may have thought. The short of it is this. Generally speaking, species from North and South America have weak venom. Not much to worry about them. Species from Asia and Africa are of much more significance. From those continents, even relatively 'weak' venom will cause quite a bit of pain. Looking for one with weak venom and sturdy enough to be a first pet spider? A. chalcodes, otherwise known as a 'Tuscon Blonde' or 'Arizona Gold' or some other nomenclature (you'll learn to hate common names due to their inaccuracy). They have absolutely harmless venom and a rock-solid sturdiness to boot. They are literally easier to care for than a houseplant, without exaggeration.

It should be noted that, as far as I know, there have been no reported cases of a death caused by a tarantula bite. So no need to worry on that front. Doesn't mean I'd willingly take an H. maculata bite, though. It's just that your question is so broad that it will attract broad answers.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has any of your T's bit you? What species and what was the effects on you?
Twice by my G rosea. She can be very defenssive at times, and first time was when i got her 20 years ago and gandled her! Dont judge me. I have handled tarantulas once or twice in the beginning of my tarantula keeping. Second time was when i out ny hands near her to change waterdish.
Both times it hurted a bit, but not that much. No side effects or anything. It draw blood, burned little and tingled a bit afterwords.

I have also been bitten by a V sorocabae. That was when i changed waterdish aswell. Same thing, it didnt hurt much. It was prey agressive and hungry i suppose! You should not have your hands near tge tarantula. I am a luving example of that!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Even in weaker NW venom I would say being bit by an adult Brachypelma would still hurt, their fangs are quite the size

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, it DID prepare me for keeping an Old World species. I mean, if I was able to survive a bite like that one, I can survive any bite! Now I laugh in the face of danger.