Bit of a boggle (P. imp)

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So this morning i get home from work and chill a bit til around 7 am, go to my room to do my "nightly" check on the scorps before heading to bed. The Gravid P. imp I am sitting for was in the birthing craddle position and i thought nothing of it, other than "finally she's popping".

tw thing is it's been 11 hours and she's still in the birthing cradle with no signs of young on or near her. I haven't moved her tank cus i don't want to stress her any more than she might be. I'm just worried that something is off. In the past when i had gravid P. imps it would be one day fat and preggers and then the next back full of babies.

I'm at a loss on what to do other than leave her be and let nature take it's course. Any advice or suggestions?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm waiting for my U. Mordax to pop, shes fat as a balloon!

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking things are not going to end well for the lady. She's been in the birthing basket for a couple days now and no signs of young.

She was pretty beat up when my buddy bought her, and i did point out to him that we have no way of telling her age. It might just be that this was her last brood and due to old age she isn't going to make it.

Kind of a sad thing seeing as it was his first scorp and he was excited that she was gravid. Guess i will hook him up with a couple scorplings when my breeding projects get full swing and young start being born.

As for now all I can do is keep her warm and isolated and hope for the best.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
tried icuing her? high humid/heat? to try and spead up metabolism? I've never heard of a scorp getting..stuck.

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scorpions can get stuck, I lost a female madagascar flat rock to that happening (I don't feel like digging up scientific name right now)

I kept the body in some alcohol for curiosities sake, and it rather noticeable that one baby is stuck near the sternum and started to rot before I put the body in the alcohol.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
going to do a check on her tonight. if she has a "stuck" broodling i might try to do a removal with tweezers.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So it's been a couple days since i last updated.

I did a removal with tweezers and she seems fine, if not a touch more agressive. She is eating and moving around, so maybe things will work out.

Of the cluster of young the got stuck a couple of them looked viable. I have them in a deli cup with a moist paper towel. Going to keep them warm a humid and see if they won't moult to 2i.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, I have never heard of doing such a thing. You used a tweezer to pull out the baby? Amazing!

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There were a total of 4, but only 2 of them were fully formed. Hopefully those 2 will make it to second instar and grow to be big strong and slightly ill tempered.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I have never heard of doing such a thing. You used a tweezer to pull out the baby? Amazing!
Yup. Took a pair of rubber padded photographing developers tweezers and, after cooling the mother down a bit and flipping her on her back, gently worked the babies free.

only time will tell if what i did will help, but as for now the mother is right ticked off and very aggro to anything that moves.

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yup. Took a pair of rubber padded photographing developers tweezers and, after cooling the mother down a bit and flipping her on her back, gently worked the babies free.

only time will tell if what i did will help, but as for now the mother is right ticked off and very aggro to anything that moves.
That amazing!!! :clap::clap::clap:
Hopefully everything will work out for the best.

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Females with young on her back are very aggressive and fearless. A Female C. Vittatus on her back was so aggressive she had the other adults in one corner and would wave her claws and twitch her tail when anything moved.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
final update

Sadly none of the slings survived to moult to second instar....

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ah that's lame! At least you tried to give them the best shot at it though!