Bit by a weird creature.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's really cool. I didn't know lacewings did that. I kept ant lions for a few years. They were really fun. I was thinking of getting another one for an office pet. :)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have to disagree with you, DeTwan. See the jaws to the right of the photo?

Lacewing larvae
Note how the jaws are exactly like those in talkenlate's photo.

Bagworm larvae
This is completely different.

Also, lacewing larvae ARE known to impale the bodies of aphids they've eaten on their body hairs.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with Iheart, what I have crawling all over my porch under my pine tree is Lacewings. {D At least I know now.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A lacewing larva? They have big mandibles and many species cover themselves in detritus (sometimes the corpses of prey!)
That's what I was thinking too. I've got bitten by them loads of times because every time I see them I catch and sometimes I'm sorry that I did catch them. But most of the time they just crawl on my arm wondering what they're walking on. But a pic would really be helpful if you have one.

I wanna see the culprit!:D ;P

Black Widow88

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say some sort of lacewing larvae. He probably covered himself up so the FBI couldn't ID him and take him to jail for harassment of a human. {D

Black Widow88

AnthrpicDecadnc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lacewings and Antlions are both in the order neuroptera. They're actually very closely related, being in the same sub-order and all.

Lacewings, antlions and the rest of their relatives are the most primitive group of insects to undergo complete metamorphoses. Interesting critters, really. If you like bugs, they're worth a google ;)

Info
antlions are so cool. i was in the woods camping and there were these tiny ant lion pits in the ground. there was also some ant near by. needless to say, i had fun fishin those little buggers.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And after you caught them what did you do with them? I love Neuroptera to death. I've never seen an ant lion adult or larvae alive in person before. I've came across a dead adult before, but that was only once. I hope I get lucky this year at camp. *Crosses fingers*

And if I do see one alive and well I'll make sure I get pics. You mark my words! I don't think that they're any around my house though just the lacewings and their larvae. I think you have to upstate to see them. Any way I'm going lion hunting this year! lol! {D

Black Widow88

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I saw a live adult for the first time a few summers ago on the Columbia Gorge here in Oregon.

I've only ever seen the larvae when I was in Costa Rica.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW! At first I thought that this was a lace wing larvae because it's so skinny! ;P lol! Does any one know why ant lion larvae are sometimes called Doodle Bugs?

Black Widow88

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wikipedia said:
The antlion larva is often called a "'Doodlebug"'. One theory is that it gets this name from the odd winding, spiralling trails it leaves in the sand while looking for a good location to build its trap. These trails look like someone has doodled in the sand.
I've seen those "doodles" before in Costa Rica. Took me forever to figure out what was making them.

I'd only heard woodlice called that before. Weird.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for that! I've never heard Wood lice being called Doodlebugs before. Sowbugs yes but doodlebugs? :?

Black Widow88

gthom004

Arachnopeon
The pics are lacewing larvae, sometimes called aphid lions. Sorry about the confusion.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a little lacewing larvae running around on my desk during math class. I picked it up...it was maybe 3 mm and it started to try to sink its jaws into a fold in my palm. Well, I was bored, so I worked on the math and watched the little thing. It eventually did succeed, and started to actually hurt, so I popped him out and he promptly moved somewhere else and started biting until I got annoyed of him and wiped him back onto the desk. I had little pinprick dots for several days.

antlions are very common around where I live. I've kept them in captivity many times, but never got them to breed. :(