Birds thread....

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I will be posting birds I have spotted, along with pics if I am able to capture. I hope others join in.

Today-
-Calypte anna. Spotted at feeder. Female or juvenile Male-could not see markings clearly enough with naked eye. Location N.California

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
-Cathartes aura. North American Turkey Vulture. Spotted in sky, solo flyer, circling in hot weather, sex unknown. Location N.California.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Turkey_Vulture/id

-Sayornis nigricans. Black Phoebe. Spotted on fence at dusk, darting around feeding on small flies. N. California.

I like the look of these birds, as their black capped heads remind me of little executioners hoods:DIn an endearing way, if such a thing is possible.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black_Phoebe/id

Last edited:

Camman1983

Arachnosquire
Cassowaries are common in certain areas (after a big cyclone I worked at feeding stations to keep them fed until some rainforest trees started fruiting again. We were feeding a couple of hundred each day) the frogmouth was just a chance encounter I don't see them very often.

Camman1983

Arachnosquire
Yeah I've been chased a few times - we wore Kevlar at the feeding stations and armed ourselves with a length of poly pipe. I've also been chased out the scrub bailing in a canoe but it proceeded to swim after us like duck (but lost interest after about 50 yards)

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Yeah I've been chased a few times - we wore Kevlar at the feeding stations and armed ourselves with a length of poly pipe. I've also been chased out the scrub bailing in a canoe but it proceeded to swim after us like duck (but lost interest after about 50 yards)
:wideyed: So....what if you make it to a car... do they lose interest or seem still go after you? I had family members that lived in Australia for about a year, that used to tell me these guys could be aggressive:eek:

Camman1983

Arachnosquire
No we were doing a canoe survey at time car was miles away it was more mad paddling to distance ourselves before it turned around and swam away. They can be aggressive if they have chicks or young males competing for territory, but mainly when tourists fed them then they will attack you to steal your lunch but 90% of the time they ignore you or run away.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
No we were doing a canoe survey at time car was miles away it was more mad paddling to distance ourselves before it turned around and swam away. They can be aggressive if they have chicks or young males competing for territory, but mainly when tourists fed them then they will attack you to steal your lunch but 90% of the time they ignore you or run away.
Ah, makes sense- territory or defending a nest. Though their size would be intimidating

Camman1983

Arachnosquire
IMG_3932.JPG Sorry not try to hijack your thread and make it about cassowaries but I thought I would include a pic of my kill claw tribal necklace from png just to show what makes them dangerous

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Not a wild bird but, Silver was one of a kind.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
How long did you have Silver? I am mostly seeing hummers locally, so I'm only trying to post when I see something new.