bioactive soil

Redbarren

Arachnopeon
so I'm trying to set up a bioactive terrarium for a ball python, I've got the isopods and springtails, but now I need to make the substrate. I'm not using plants (I know that means rejuvenating the soil with aspen and leaves now and then). I plan on using a mixture of coco fiber, a bit of Cyprus, aspen, moss, and oak leaves. is this going to support the micro fauna, and how often should I wet it down?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Springs and isos need a high amount of humidity, so youd need to keep the soil constantly wet. Thats something your python probably wont appreciate too much. Having an oak leaflitter layer on the soil will help keep the humidity in, provide a good spot for your snake to hide, and hopefully remain dry enough for him if he wants. The springs and isos will live throughout the leaves and soil. Just be sure when you feed your snake that it doesnt ingest any sticks, leaves, or dirt or you risk an impaction.

Also id recommend daily misting on the leaves to keep them wet enough.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Longfiber sphagnum moss. Java moss needs even more water and will rot when it dies. Sphagnum is mostly dead already but due to a bunch of physical properties that I don't feel like regurgitating out lol it does not decay and holds around 28x its own weight in water.