Biggest tarantula keeping pet peeve?

keks

Arachnobaron
Perhaps there's some truth to the fact that species rarity goes both ways. For example I adore blue death-feigning beetles (Asbolus verrucosus, speaking of scientific names) and I love to show them off. You have no clue how many Europeans have messaged me asking how I came across them. A. verrucosus is apparently like the holy grail of the European beetle hobby because they're so hard to come by. They don't really breed well in captivity, and since the US doesn't allow native animal exports all the ones found in other countries have been illegally exported. But this is a species you can buy for $10 in the US, very easy to come by. So there's something we US invertebrate enthusiasts have that people over the pond don't.

When I was big into insect keeping (before I started Ts) I wanted so badly to keep colonies of Phasmids. Some nice Extatosoma tiaratum or Phyllium sp. would've been my dream. However, because they're potential crop pests they're illegal in the USA. I was (and still am) so envious of the European, Asian, and Australian keepers who could get them so easily. Something that drew me into Ts was the fact that they're 100% legal here in the US, so I knew that any species other countries had I could eventually get.

I realize very little of that was about tarantulas, but I think it was on topic enough in regards to a reply to be relevant.
It is always the same thing: The cherries in the neighbors garden are ALWAYS much sweeter than the own one ^^.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It is always the same thing: The cherries in the neighbors garden are ALWAYS much sweeter than the own one ^^.
True! I love such old wise of once :)

Like: "l'erba del vicino è sempre più verde" (more or less "neighbour/s grass is always more greener").

And: "chi ha il pane non ha i denti, chi ha i denti non ha il pane."
(Amazing, means: "those with teeths doesn't have bread, those with bread doesn't have teeths." Ah ah).

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
The only thing i see wrong there is the lack of full stop at the end....:embarrassed:

Unnecessary handling, or feeding vertebrates because its cool....
Don't forget the question mark after 'can you believe that'. *Smug*. Meanwhile back at the ranch....

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
New people who come here, ask for advice, you give them sound advice, and then they begin to argue with you.
Because wth do you know after all!?
The expert at Petco said this Charanchula species can only thrive in a very large tank with enough sunlight and water provided by a sponge or water gel.

Looks like you still got much to learn!

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I've got another one!

People who refer to different species of tarantula as different "breeds." That's not really a pet peeve... It makes me want to punch my computer screen! :punch:

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
And how about those people who say "poeciletheria" wrong! :) JUST KIDDING!

I'd say people who greatly overprice Ts. The only reptile show I've been to had an AF gbb for like $250-275. Just nuts.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1. Humidity and new people's drive to attain specific numbers.:banghead:.
Totally agree, when I got my first T's a few years ago I also got a useless hydrometer and would panic when the numbers weren't "correct." Although this forum quickly educated me, my early days in the hobby still make me cringe so much. Ridiculous how much misinformation is out there about keeping T's.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Got another one. A new keeper getting their first tarantula and then acquiring a second tarantula very quickly afterwards without even learning how to properly care for the first.

Is there an emoji for 'feigning innocence'? :angelic: does that work?

keks

Arachnobaron
I'd say people who greatly overprice Ts. The only reptile show I've been to had an AF gbb for like $250-275. Just nuts.
The prices in US are really crazy. I just researched for an adult female Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. In Europe they sell it for 60/65 Euro :wideyed:.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I figured that was an average price. Dont think ive ever seen an AF for much less than that
I've seen them for $250 plenty of places but I've also seen them for $150 in plenty of places too. The same show also had a G pulchripes AF for $300...

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Where are these places? That's a shockingly low number, I've seen AF GBBs go for $300+. I bought my 4.5" female for $200 and thought I was getting a decent deal!
I can't say that its any one place, but if you keep your eyes peeled you can see some really good deals every once in a while. You have to look through the classifieds a lot though.

This was an anomaly but I got an AF gbb for $100 along with two other Ts from craigslist once. Just gotta keep your eyes open and be ready to buy before the deal is gone. :) Last weekend I was too slow and missed out on one myself...

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I've seen them for $250 plenty of places but I've also seen them for $150 in plenty of places too. The same show also had a G pulchripes AF for $300...
Yeah I remember that Repticon, we were there at the same time. Here's a picture of that G pulchripes
IMG_7607.JPG
And here's the $245 GBB
IMG_7597.JPG

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I can't say that its any one place, but if you keep your eyes peeled you can see some really good deals every once in a while. You have to look through the classifieds a lot though.

This was an anomaly but I got an AF gbb for $100 along with two other Ts from craigslist once. Just gotta keep your eyes open and be ready to buy before the deal is gone. :) Last weekend I was too slow and missed out on one myself...
Yeah, I suppose deals do pop up like that from sources like craigslist. Hell, my biggest tarantula buy was earlier this year from Craigslist. I got mature females of B. smithi, C. lividum, and H. maculata; an immature female L. parahybana, and immature males of Avicularia rufa, and A. semanni "blue color form." I got them with their respective enclosures, most of which were those Exo Terra front opening terrariums with the screen tops already replaced with drilled plexiglass. And guess what? I got it all for $150! That, my friend, is the kind of steals you'll find on the Internet. So, I guess it's not unheard of for a GBB to go that cheap. You just won't find them that cheap from a tarantula specific dealer.

Matoutou

Tarantula enthusiast
Got another one. A new keeper getting their first tarantula and then acquiring a second tarantula very quickly afterwards without even learning how to properly care for the first.

Is there an emoji for 'feigning innocence'? :angelic: does that work?
Can you really blame them? I mean, how do you stop buying Ts exactly?