Biggest tarantula keeping pet peeve?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yep, everything is 'giftig', just like in Dutch :rofl:
When in school as a teen we studied German 'umlaut' were able to drive me mad :pompous:

Dutch language is funny because they have that "double letters" rapture such words full of "aa" etc :)

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
That you have OCD tendencies, nothing malice my friend, I rated the post as "sad" because of the afore mentioned difficulties this must have in your daily life! No malice intended @Tenevanica
I knew there was no malice intent, I was just curious as to why that was so sad. I have a lot of "problems," and the particular one I mentioned is one of the least of them. I have several mental disabilities/handicaps, and I don't want people to feel sad for me. I've got a good life, and I'm a perfectly functional member of society! :) (Or maybe you're just trying to show empathy. You're just fine either way, thanks for entertaining my request for clarification, and thanks for acknowledging my struggle.

Haha - Let's all just say "Pokie" that way all this bickering can stop, what a carry on over one, yes one freaking genus - Poecilotheria is it really that important for it to take over the whole thread - me thinks not!
It's really not. Pronunciations will vary person to person, and as long as people know what you're talking about no one's going to give you a hard time.

Then do you say Psal-mo-pee-us? The oe dipthong tends to make the "oy"sound like in "soy" so I say Psal-mo-poy-us

I study classical Latin at my college and have a hard time adapting to scientific latin. Doesn't mean your way is wrong it's just not the way I like to pronounce things. Im sort of okay being the wrong once in this situation xD
I say Psal-muh-pee-us. Again, as long as people know what you're talking about it's really not a big deal how you pronounce it.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Aw man, the debate over proper Latin pronunciations has hijacked yet another thread. R.I.P.

(Pet peeve!) :troll:

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Aw man, the debate over proper Latin pronunciations has hijacked yet another thread. R.I.P.

(Pet peeve!) :troll:
I did my best to put that debate to rest. Let's hope this can get back on track. (Though, this is a fun thread so I don't think it matters that much.)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
For me Psalmopoeus = Sal-muh-po-us

Oops are we off topic? Uh quick-- my biggest hobby pet peeve is that Europeans seem to have a better specimen selections than we do in America.

Phew. Saved it.

cold blood

Staff member
1. Humidity and new people's drive to attain specific numbers.:banghead:

2. The term birdeater:punch:

3. Skulls as hides...or for that matter, hides that are too big and roomy to actually be used as a hide.:shifty:

keks

Arachnobaron
For me Psalmopoeus = Sal-muh-po-us

Oops are we off topic? Uh quick-- my biggest hobby pet peeve is that Europeans seem to have a better specimen selections than we do in America.

Phew. Saved it.
Not always. You can easier get an Aphonopelma, some species are here very rare. And you have nice scorpions, and nice millipedes (scolopenders too, but they are [still] not my part).... ^^.

cold blood

Staff member
Oh yeah, handling, or the desire to handle...the desire to educate by handling IMO, its like teaching someone how to drive by showing them how to drive into a wall)....all solid:banghead:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Make a video ^^.
Nope, my Lady :)

I'm very strict about privacy, the last thing I want is to hear an army of Ladies from all over the UE, that, out of my house, performs at midnight serenades like not even a Mariachi in full 'agave water'. Despite the fact that I would love to see said Ladies fighting for me (e.g hair pulling, screaming "Chris is mine!") I politely deny :bored:

keks

Arachnobaron
What makes me crazy is that people who like spiders, scorpions ect. automatically are branded as asocial. It is easier if you are a male, but females don't have to do this at all. Females have to keep the house clean, to cook and go shopping. :banghead:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Oh yeah, handling, or the desire to handle...the desire to educate by handling IMO, its like teaching someone how to drive by showing them how to drive into a wall)....all solid:banghead:
The ONLY thing I think is good about "education by handling" is showing arachnophobes that tarantulas aren't big, scary, bitey monsters.

But arachnophobes would be the first to flinch at a sudden movement and then bam goodbye tarantula. It's a double-sided sword. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Before I knew how delicate tarantulas were to drops/falls I held my brother's G. porteri and that's what helped cure my phobia and got me interested in the hobby. When it's good, it's very good. When it's bad, it's very bad.

Here's another peeve brought on by the conversation topic-- people who use live tarantulas to frighten people. :punch:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
What makes me crazy is that people who like spiders, scorpions ect. automatically are branded as asocial. It is easier if you are a male, but females don't have to do this at all. Females have to keep the house clean, to cook and go shopping. :banghead:
Climb on chairs and shriek to escape a bug on the floor, etc, etc, etc...

I got mocked for being afraid of spiders, then I got mocked for collecting and liking spiders. Where is the justice?

keks

Arachnobaron
Nope, my Lady :)

I'm very strict about privacy, the last thing I want is to hear an army of Ladies from all over the UE, that, out of my house, performs at midnight serenades like not even a Mariachi in full 'agave water'. Despite the fact that I would love to see said Ladies fighting for me (e.g hair pulling, screaming "Chris is mine!") I politely deny :bored:
I understand completely, I have bad imagine cinema of ladies in mud wrestling, crying out bad Italian words to their opponent :rofl:. (Yes, I know some bad words in Italian ^^)

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Not always. You can easier get an Aphonopelma, some species are here very rare. And you have nice scorpions, and nice millipedes (scolopenders too, but they are [still] not my part).... ^^.
Perhaps there's some truth to the fact that species rarity goes both ways. For example I adore blue death-feigning beetles (Asbolus verrucosus, speaking of scientific names) and I love to show them off. You have no clue how many Europeans have messaged me asking how I came across them. A. verrucosus is apparently like the holy grail of the European beetle hobby because they're so hard to come by. They don't really breed well in captivity, and since the US doesn't allow native animal exports all the ones found in other countries have been illegally exported. But this is a species you can buy for $10 in the US, very easy to come by. So there's something we US invertebrate enthusiasts have that people over the pond don't.

When I was big into insect keeping (before I started Ts) I wanted so badly to keep colonies of Phasmids. Some nice Extatosoma tiaratum or Phyllium sp. would've been my dream. However, because they're potential crop pests they're illegal in the USA. I was (and still am) so envious of the European, Asian, and Australian keepers who could get them so easily. Something that drew me into Ts was the fact that they're 100% legal here in the US, so I knew that any species other countries had I could eventually get.

I realize very little of that was about tarantulas, but I think it was on topic enough in regards to a reply to be relevant.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I understand completely, I have bad imagine cinema of ladies in mud wrestling, crying out bad Italian words to their opponent :rofl:. (Yes, I know some bad words in Italian ^^)
Ah ah, our "bad words" are among the best just like our collection of "bad words" against God, Saints etc a grandfather of my friend, when is pissed off, in his 90 (lol) still throw curses to the "Holy Virgin of Firenze" (Florence, for others). lol as if exists or existed more than one Jesus or Virgin Mary :rofl:

I love the fact that we add often a bit of geographically/regional area variations to that :)