Biggest tarantula keeping pet peeve?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I almost never speak an inverts scientific name as I know I'll completely balls up the pronunciation. I just put their name in the video title/description or above a pic.

boina

Lady of the mites
I pronounce it Peace-il-uh-there-ee-uh or similar. That's the correct zoological pronunciation, fight me.
That's the correct English zoological pronunciation. No German scientist will even understand what you are talking about. It's pronounced Poetsih-low-teria. And that's the correct zoological pronunciation :p. Btw. there is not or has ever been a "th" - sound in Latin. It's always "t".

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I pronounce it Peace-il-uh-there-ee-uh or similar.
Haha - Let's all just say "Pokie" that way all this bickering can stop, what a carry on over one, yes one freaking genus - Poecilotheria is it really that important for it to take over the whole thread - me thinks not!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Well, the better (and IMO only) way for me would be to spell that in a video but I don't want to become a YT or else 'supastah'.
I'm happy to remain Jon3800 agent when lawnmowers are discussed :)
You wouldn't earn very much commission TBH - if he keeps his lawnmowers the way he does his tarantulas, they'll all be on the scrapheap, haha, along with your commission!!!!

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
I've always pronounced it Po-ech-ih-low-there-ee-uh
I pronounce it Peace-il-uh-there-ee-uh or similar. That's the correct zoological pronunciation, fight me. :rofl:
I got an idea, probably bad, but what about IPA? :)
here is my try: /pe:tsɪlɒ-te:rɪa/
I'll fight you, punk! They're called POKIES NOT PEACEIES!!! Peices are for Reeses, you filthy hippie communist.
Honestly I thought that they were pochees after first reading of Your transcription. :rofl:

To the original topic: When i asked my friend if she is not afraid of her new P. metallica (she had just NW terrestrials before) and she replied "Why? Is it venomous?" :cyclops:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I got an idea, probably bad, but what about IPA? :)
here is my try: /pe:tsɪlɒ-te:rɪa/
That sounds - looks spot on, but what does IPA stand for?
To the original topic: When i asked my friend if she is not afraid of her new P. metallica (she had just NW terrestrials before) and she replied "Why? Is it venomous?" :cyclops:
You should have replied "No it's poisonous, didn't you know?"

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
That's the correct English zoological pronunciation. No German scientist will even understand what you are talking about. It's pronounced Poetsih-low-teria. And that's the correct zoological pronunciation :p. Btw. there is not or has ever been a "th" - sound in Latin. It's always "t".
Well I'm glad there are keepers from different countries on AB, otherwise we might not get the variety of insights. Also keeping Ts can vary so much from place to place in some ways, even the pet peeves haha One of my "pet peeves" is seeing keepers from other locations that have easy access to specimens that I don't!:rolleyes: I get envious!:embarrassed:

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Well I'm glad there are keepers from different countries on AB, otherwise we might not get the variety of insights. Also keeping Ts can vary so much from place to place in some ways, even the pet peeves haha One of my "pet peeves" is seeing keepers from other locations that have easy access to specimens that I don't!:rolleyes: I get envious!:embarrassed:
Not directed negatively @boina btw

basin79

ArachnoGod
The only thing IPA stands for to me is Indian Pale Ale.

I could ruin a load of bottles too. I've got a raging thirst on.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Ah I didn't know that, so how would you say something was poisonous rather than venomous? It would most likely be hard to explain in Slovak.
Interesting question, I have never thought about that. It is usually matter of context, for example if we are talking about scorpions, snakes, hymenoptrerans, ... or plants, chemicals, meat... I can imagine just few confusing cases, for example in some insect, then it tends to by said by more detailed sentence. as: "it inject venom/poison into its prey" "it releases poisonous/venomous luquid in defence" "it is very venomous/poisonous bug, it can even kill a cow if eaten"...

"As in Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, etc." - what the hell ? :D

sasker

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately we have only one word for both venomous and poisonous in Slovak.
Same as in Dutch. So far it never really bothered me, though.

Ah I didn't know that, so how would you say something was poisonous rather than venomous? It would most likely be hard to explain in Slovak.
Well, you don't make a difference between poisonous and venomous. In Dutch some toadstools and cobras are both 'giftig'. You will need to use a few more words to explain that something cannot be eaten because it is 'giftig' or that the bites of some animals are 'giftig'. How, how many native English speakers know the difference and how many people use the two words interchangeably, and how many words does one need to waste to explain the difference between the two to the ignorant. And by the way, if someone is knowledgeable enough to know the difference, they probably also know that mushrooms don't bite and that cobras don't excrete a poisonous slime from their skin ;)

Last edited:

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
I hate the poison and venom thing too, but I'm sorry to say that Tom has the correct pronunciation. I pronounce it that way too, so do the entomologists as my university, and every other time a "oe" is used in a Latin* word it's pronounced as "ee." (Think "coelom" or "Coelocanth.")

*Scientific Latin that is, Church Latin is a bit different.
Then do you say Psal-mo-pee-us? The oe dipthong tends to make the "oy"sound like in "soy" so I say Psal-mo-poy-us

I study classical Latin at my college and have a hard time adapting to scientific latin. Doesn't mean your way is wrong it's just not the way I like to pronounce things. Im sort of okay being the wrong once in this situation xD

In classical latin the oe dipthong almost always makes the oy sound because it was adapted from Greek. Like the word "proelium" is pronounced proy-lee-um. Of course this gets confused when you have the word "poeta" because that's pronounced po-ay-ta.

Tl;Dr latin is confusing and y'all can pronounce scientific names however you want

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When people thoroughly clean out a T's enclosure often for no good reason.

Also people not giving slings water dishes because "they'll drown."

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Honestly I thought that they were pochees after first reading of Your transcription. :rofl:
Haha no, no you're thinking 'ch' as in 'church' but I mean 'ch' as in 'echo'. A hard C, not a soft one.

That would make them Po-eck-ies I suppose, but that's closer to pokies than 'po-cheese'.