Biggest tarantula keeping pet peeve?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
People belting out advice that they've read on Arachnoboards but have little to no firsthand experience with whatever they're giving advice on. I hate that.
You can hate it if you want, but good advice is good advice. If I tell you to put that new A. avic sling in a vertical enclosure with tons of cross ventilation, a water dish, dry substrate, a piece of cork bark to climb on, and some fake plants for webbing points, the advice is equally good whether I have done that myself or not. You can retain lots of accurate information during the course of research that can be helpful to others, whether or not you've personally done it.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
When new - er members post a question regarding problems with their spider or enclosure and don't post pictures, what is it with these fizz-wombles, do they expect us to see what they can through telepathy!

Common names, they piss me off, especially when they have written the scientific name first!

Grammar - their, they're and there. It's not even hard to know which means witch! LOL

boina

Lady of the mites
and every other time a "oe" is used in a Latin* word it's pronounced as "ee."
In English speaking countries, yes, and in some others, too, but not in languages that actually have the oe sound in their native language (German, Dutch, Scandinavian languages). I mean why would I pronounce that ee if I can just pronounce it oe??

English scientific Latin is used in English speaking countries, but not in all countries, because it's English scientific Latin.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
In English speaking countries, yes, and in some others, too, but not in languages that actually have the oe sound in their native language (German, Dutch, Scandinavian languages). I mean why would I pronounce that ee if I can just pronounce it oe??

English scientific Latin is used in English speaking countries, but not in all countries, because it's English scientific Latin.
I wish there was a "confused" emoji - this post has sent me 'round the bend, so it would be pronounced Pees-o-literia - that reminds me of the way petkokc from The Dark Den pronounces it, he says;
Pets-o-literia - haha maybe he's right, who really knows for sure, 100% certain, I pronounce it
Poke-litheria - haha let's stick to Pokie, that's much better.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wish there was a "confused" emoji - this post has sent me 'round the bend, so it would be pronounced Pees-o-literia - that reminds me of the way petkokc from The Dark Den pronounces it, he say
Pets-o-literia - haha maybe he's right, who really knows for sure, 100% certain, I pronounce it
Poke-litheria - haha let's stick to Pokie, that's much better.
You don't have the idea of the laughs we had/have here in Italy when we hear 'Poecilotheria' spelled by English speaking people... ain't joking, we talked in Italian forums about that :p

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
You don't have the idea of the laughs we had/have here in Italy when we hear 'Poecilotheria' spelled by English speaking people... ain't joking, we talked in Italian forums about that :p
If you would be so kind, could you tell me how it is supposed to be pronounced, kind sir....as you can see this is all in my best England. LOL

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If you would be so kind, could you tell me how it is supposed to be pronounced, kind sir....as you can see this is all in my best England. LOL
No :)

First because you aren't from England but from Alba :kiss: this is very important to point out for me... once I was in lovely Wales and a farmer said to me "Aren't you a stranger..." and me "well, yes, I'm Italian" and him "No, I mean... you are not from England, that's fine" :rofl:

Second because I'm lazy (I'm reaching my 40, it's normal) third because I'm already here delivering "Extreme Wisdom" for free, so that would be asking too much :writer:

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I hate it when people tell me my tarantulas are going to kill me.. Then they don't believe me when I tell them there has been no confirmed deaths from a tarantula bite.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Oooh, I have one, you guys!!! But this is not my pet peeve; it belongs to another member here. Lol.

@Venom1080's biggest pet peeve is when people create threads in the wrong forum/subforum. :wideyed::D:rofl:

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
No :)

First because you aren't from England but from Alba :kiss: this is very important to point out for me... once I was in lovely Wales and a farmer said to me "Aren't you a stranger..." and me "well, yes, I'm Italian" and him "No, I mean... you are not from England, that's fine" :rofl:

Second because I'm lazy (I'm reaching my 40, it's normal) third because I'm already here delivering "Extreme Wisdom" for free, so that would be asking too much :writer:
Perhaps, but we still speak English, well we try to, I've heard many times. people cannot understand what we as Scots are saying, your reply was rather rude - TBH, also your post didn't make any sense! Welsh, Alba, ????

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Perhaps, but we still speak English, well we try to, I've heard many times. people cannot understand what we as Scots are saying, your reply was rather rude - TBH
Well, the better (and IMO only) way for me would be to spell that in a video but I don't want to become a YT or else 'supastah'.
I'm happy to remain Jon3800 agent when lawnmowers are discussed :)

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I've always pronounced it Po-ech-ih-low-there-ee-uh
I pronounce it Peace-il-uh-there-ee-uh or similar. That's the correct zoological pronunciation, fight me. :rofl:

Also, @mconnachan, I'm intrigued by your "sad" rating on one of my posts. I'm curious as to why that subject material was "sad." ;)