Biggest tarantula keeping pet peeve?

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I just bought a tarantula, I just barely rehoused it and tried feeding it a cricket. It wanted nothing to do with the cricket. Should I put it in an ICU?

What should my next tarantula be?

I just bought my first tarantula. What temp should I keep it at? What and how often should I feed it? Can I keep it in this type of enclosure?

These are my pet peeves.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
ICUs, rosie won't eat, I flipped my T 'cuz it was on its back, what T should I get next, what should I name my new T.

(Ack -- cross-posted)

I'll add "what humidity -- my hygrometer says 70%"

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
We
ICUs, rosie won't eat, I flipped my T 'cuz it was on its back, what T should I get next, what should I namso

(Ack -- cross-posted)

We practically pos
ICUs, rosie won't eat, I flipped my T 'cuz it was on its back, what T should I get next, what should I name my new T.

(Ack -- cross-posted)

We practically posted the same thing at the same time. My fortune cookie from last nights dinner wasnt messing around when it told me I will meet someone of the opposite sex who is just like me. Heck you even have an obt as profile picture.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The term "Bird Eater"
Ah ah, you know, I have reasons to believe that we need to blame Maria Sybilla Merian for that. Once in Suriname, she spotted a huge spider (keep in mind the average Europeans spiders size standards) and called said spider Avicularia.

Happens that in Latin Avicularia means 'birdeater' from avi = birds and cularia = eater

Eventually, while Avicularia remained the name of a genus of arboreal Theraphosidae, the whole "birdeater" stuff, back then, spread like a virus.

I think that nell'anno domini 2017, that silly nickname needs to disappear and btw... why only related with spiders since in the first trailer park behind the corner I bet there's plenty of two legged 'birdeaters' asking $20 for buy crack :)

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
When people handle OW's for sure. I also hate it when people disregard advice about the "best starter" and then get something they are absolutely not ready for. A week later, they blame everyone for its death. I also get so irritated when people want a tarantula to show off to their friends, disregarding the fact it's a living organism. T's are not for bragging rights.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
T
Yes, your quote was by Graham Davey at City University London who completed a study on arachnophobia with 118 test subjects (students) back in 1991.

We get these debates from time to time here on arachnophobia: nature vs nurture. Good people weigh in on both sides of discussion.

But I was actually referring more the hate in making such a remark to someone who shares they keep Ts as a hobby.
I may not care for some pets others keep; but I don't suggest killing their pets or burning down a home.
Thank you for giving proper credit for the quote. I forgot to do so.

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
TBH the way Tom Moran says "Poecilotheria"

Edit: Also when people ask me if I defang my tarantulas

And when people ask if my tarantulas are poisonous like I know the terms poisonous and venomous are often used interchangeably but I have a very hard time not responding with "well I don't know if they're poisonous, I've never tried eating one."

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Several things concerning identification including but not limited to: obvious misidentifications, a lack of desire to learn how to properly identify, spiders that are consistently referred to as belonging to a genus when there is freely available evidence that it belongs to another, identifications based on color or pattern, and the list goes on. One thing in particular is the general impression I get that hardly anyone realizes how hard and time consuming it is to properly identify a tarantula or any spider. Oh and the misconception that the shape of the spermatheca is always the species defining character. :shifty:

These annoyances also satisfy the condition of "little annoyances that really don't matter that much" because really, proper identification doesn't really matter that much unless one just want to keep tarantulas as pets. It matters a whole lot though if one is working on the conservation of tarantulas part of which would be to keep them out of the pet trade!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

And when people ask if my tarantulas are poisonous like I know the terms poisonous and venomous are often used interchangeably but I have a very hard time not responding with "well I don't know if they're poisonous, I've never tried eating one."
Better than poke-lo-theria. :shifty:

When people pronounce Psalmopoeus,
sal-mo-mope-e-us.

Also, how some of the biggest faces of the hobby are poor keepers.

boina

Lady of the mites
Mite phobia.

As in: there's a mite in my spiders enclosure! I immediately need to clean and sterilize everything!

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon

I hate the poison and venom thing too, but I'm sorry to say that Tom has the correct pronunciation. I pronounce it that way too, so do the entomologists as my university, and every other time a "oe" is used in a Latin* word it's pronounced as "ee." (Think "coelom" or "Coelocanth.")

*Scientific Latin that is, Church Latin is a bit different.

Last edited:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
in classic Latin the c never makes an s sound.
Yep, but that is classical Latin. Zoological nomenclature does not belong to classical Latin, but to new Latin, in which c never stays /k/ in front of e, i, ae and oe, but changes into /ts/, /s/ or /ch/ according to lokal form. :)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yep, but that is classical Latin. Zoological nomenclature does not belong to classical Latin, but to new Latin, in which c never stays /k/ in front of a, e, i, ae and oe, but changes into /ts/, /s/ or /ch/ according to lokal form. :)
New Latin is basically Italian :-s

That's why we sound so badass cool when we spell T's scientific names correctly and easy while Americans sounds kinda Michael Myers in front of the 'brain doctor' :troll: