Biggest tarantula keeping pet peeve?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I just don't understand it - I've never ever in all my years of tarantula keeping heard anything like that. I get a lot of "dumb" questions, like 'are they venomous/dangerous' or 'do you keep them all in one box', but everyone I know has been supportive (excepts my mother, but then she never is). Examples:
- my sister keeps pestering me to make care sheets for my tarantulas so she can take care of them in case I get sick
- my nephew picked up a tarantula (locally) for me because I couldn't make it and his girlfriend went with him and kept the box with the tarantula secure on her lap all the way back so the tarantula wouldn't bounce around and get hurt even though she was scared.
- my neighbor helped me move my book case to find my escaped G. pulchripes even though he's arachnophobic. He jumped 10 feet when we actually found it, but he helped!
- the very elderly and senile mother of my friend keeps trying to tell me that my tarantulas need more space and different food and all those things - I find that endearing, because she cares and her brain just doesn't work well enough any more to understand that that's not what tarantulas need.
- my other friend collects boxes for me - 'look, don't you think an arboreal could live well in this?'
- just another friend gave me a tarantula as a birthday present.
- My boss is telling everyone that stops by at work that I keep tarantulas because he thinks it makes me sound bad ass and creative and that that's important for a scientist.
- and so on.

I actually can't remember one single disparaging comment.

why is it so d... different for practically everyone else???
Sound like Germany is the place to be for a hobbyist.. it's nothing like that in "tolerant" "open-minded" Canada.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sound like Germany is the place to be for a hobbyist.. it's nothing like that in "tolerant" "open-minded" Canada.
Italy as well, to an extent :)

Despite the fact that here T's were banned, in all honesty no one gave a .... I mean, parcels aren't so well checked, eh eh.

Plus, all the roaches you want... I even free my B.dubia on the outside, sometimes, since they keep to breed like rabbits u_u

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Italy as well, to an extent :)

Despite the fact that here T's were banned, in all honesty no one gave a .... I mean, parcels aren't so well checked, eh eh.

Plus, all the roaches you want... I even free my B.dubia on the outside, sometimes since they keep to breed like rabbits u_u
Good to know there's more options ;)

boina

Lady of the mites
Uh- or maybe I should put a 'sad' rating there... because it's sad if people are not supportive... changing it...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Uh- or maybe I should put a 'sad' rating there... because it's sad if people are not supportive... changing it...
No, that's okay. I meant it as a joke. I just hope family members start to realize the best gift they can get me is another spider. ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I sure hope you guys can move your heads too!?:eek:
No, our head is always "blocked" for cheat insurance in fake car incident :)

We move only the hands for make a good pizza or for massage well 0.1 :kiss:

Or for kill someone or throw directly the trash in the street straight from the 4th or 5th floor: it's a championship here.

Canada? Pfffff :angelic: we are uber/ubah/dupah forward when it comes to the environment, I tell ya :-s

sasker

Arachnoprince
I love your somewhat not mainstream, somewhat 'mysterious' (for the average European mainstream point of view) nation.
Indeed! I am not from Bulgaria originally so I also enjoy the country like more of an outsider. It is definitely not mainstream and I am having a great time here :D

I've never ever in all my years of tarantula keeping heard anything like that.
Me neither. Not in Bulgaria, nor in the Netherlands where I am originally from.

Germany, Italy, Bulgaria, the Netherlands... I think there is a pattern here :) Come to Europe. It's a tarantula keepers paradise! ;)

EDIT: ...and tarantulas are affordable here. Just another bonus...

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
Just so you know, crickets prefer leopard print thongs and cockroaches prefer velour thongs. Mmm, velour...
I know I'm a bit late to the thong party (sounds like my kinda friday) but I can't be the only one who read "mmm, velour" in Zapp Brannigan's voice.

On a more related note, my pet peeve is pet shops labeling every Australian T as "bird eating spider". :mad:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Indeed! I am not from Bulgaria originally so I also enjoy the country like more of an outsider. It is definitely not mainstream and I am having a great time here :D

Me neither. Not in Bulgaria, nor in the Netherlands where I am originally from.

Germany, Italy, Bulgaria, the Netherlands... I think there is a pattern here :) Come to Europe. It's a tarantula keepers paradise! ;)

I have family out there in GER(i think), Romania, and Yugoslavia, So it's probably one of those if I ever take the plunge.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have family out there in GER(i think), Romania, and Yugoslavia, So it's probably one of those if I ever take the plunge.
Excuse me my friend but Yugoslavia doesn't even exists anymore, unless you have a kinda 'time machine' like me... in fact I still live in Lombardy-Venetia Kingdom u_u

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Excuse me my friend but Yugoslavia doesn't even exists anymore, unless you have a kinda 'time machine' like me... in fact I still live in Lombardy-Venetia Kingdom u_u

I.. did not know that. My family still just refers to it as Yugoslavia, or Yugo.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

Mah... Italy not so much on that sense, still IMO better than certain things I've heard here like "roaches regulations" or other restrictions :)