Biggest tarantula keeping pet peeve?

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
I usually put a lot of dubia into catch cup when feeding and use the long tongs to grab them out. It's a lot harder if the are in the bin though. I don't have a problem with touching them so it's not a big deal.
Then again, you're the Ed Gein of dubia-keepers. "Pop their heads!"

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a few, though several have already been mentioned by others.

But one of mine: When people say they want to try live plants in their enclosures, and they want to put tropical plants in with tarantulas that are xeric species (like Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens or some other dry habitat species.)

Another one: When people use neon-colored, crappy artificial aquarium plants as enclosure décor. These sometimes accompany the aforementioned tacky plastic skulls (or silly ceramic Buddha/Easter Island Head/tribal-whatever statues). It just looks terrible.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
This is the worst pun I've ever heard.

& I named my cat Catrick Swayze.
Thanks! That makes me kinda proud. I guess it would have been funnier if you had been around for the actual "Gypsy Cola and the Urticated Balls" episode.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Thanks! That makes me kinda proud. I guess it would have been funnier if you had been around for the actual "Gypsy Cola and the Urticated Balls" episode.
Trust me, I'm really sorry I missed it. I would have made as many inappropriate jokes within forum rules as possible.

"Well they let you know what they think of you. Now the ball is in your court."
"What a hairy situation to find oneself in."
"I've heard of jock itch but this isn't what I imagined the cause would be."

Etc, etc...

Last edited:

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
When people ammidiatelly go like "ewwww, why would you keep soemthing like that. I´d kill it!" when I mention I have tarantulas at home. Like F off, okay? They are as valuable to me as your dumb cat is to you and I love them.

Or when people ask me, if they´re venomous, or if they bite. I can´t help but be passive aggresive and always just say "Every spider ever is venomous, and yes, they do bite, anything with teeth can bite."
Or when someone asks. "And is it defanged?" No, it´s not a snake, it would die without venom.

I know some people can be uneducated in this, but questions "are they venomous" always get on my nerves the most.
Once, when I was hanging out with my date, my best friend and my date´s gang, one girl from the friend group asked "Oh, you have tarantulas? But they aren´t venomous, right?" And me with my best friend simultaneously said "Every spider is venomous." and then we just looked at eachother and laughed.

Or when someone goes "Oh, you keep tarantulas? But you´re a girl, isn´t that weird?" Excuse me, since when is it weird for ladies to keep tarantulas? Girl tarantula keepers are bad-ass!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I live in Bulgaria
Speaking of Bulgaria, I love your somewhat not mainstream, somewhat 'mysterious' (for the average European mainstream point of view) nation.

I also think there's a half Bulgarian, half Italian brat living in Varna (Bapha), a memento of when I visited your lovely nation u_u

Well if he's a male let's hope he will become the new Yordan Letchkov :)

boina

Lady of the mites
When people ammidiatelly go like "ewwww, why would you keep soemthing like that. I´d kill it!" when I mention I have tarantulas at home.
I just don't understand it - I've never ever in all my years of tarantula keeping heard anything like that. I get a lot of "dumb" questions, like 'are they venomous/dangerous' or 'do you keep them all in one box', but everyone I know has been supportive (excepts my mother, but then she never is). Examples:
- my sister keeps pestering me to make care sheets for my tarantulas so she can take care of them in case I get sick
- my nephew picked up a tarantula (locally) for me because I couldn't make it and his girlfriend went with him and kept the box with the tarantula secure on her lap all the way back so the tarantula wouldn't bounce around and get hurt even though she was scared.
- my neighbor helped me move my book case to find my escaped G. pulchripes even though he's arachnophobic. He jumped 10 feet when we actually found it, but he helped!
- the very elderly and senile mother of my friend keeps trying to tell me that my tarantulas need more space and different food and all those things - I find that endearing, because she cares and her brain just doesn't work well enough any more to understand that that's not what tarantulas need.
- my other friend collects boxes for me - 'look, don't you think an arboreal could live well in this?'
- just another friend gave me a tarantula as a birthday present.
- My boss is telling everyone that stops by at work that I keep tarantulas because he thinks it makes me sound bad ass and creative and that that's important for a scientist.
- and so on.

I actually can't remember one single disparaging comment.

why is it so d... different for practically everyone else???

boina

Lady of the mites
Speaking of Bulgaria, I love your somewhat not mainstream, somewhat 'mysterious' (for the average European mainstream point of view) nation.

I also think there's a half Bulgarian, half Italian brat living in Varna (Bapha), a memento of when I visited your lovely nation u_u

Well if he's a male let's hope he will become the new Yordan Letchkov :)
I really can't find one single emoji that would be fitting for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I really can't find one single emoji that would be fitting for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I have an half dozen of sons/daughter around Europe :)

Wales, Bulgaria, Scotland... I'm trying at my best but I can't fix the fact that Europeans doesn't "breed" babies anymore, all alone (even if that's cool) :kiss:

Last edited: