1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest non-arboreal OWs?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Patherophis, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Considering sizes one can find on internet are not always credible, I would like to ask which are the biggest non-arboreal Old world tarantula species. I guess Pelinobius muticus and Selenocosmia crassipes will be pretty high on the list. Thanks for any input.

2. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Hysterocrates can get pretty large.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Goddess, heretics. The Goddess*.

Not only the biggest, but the greatest.

*0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Hystocrates...P. muticus is similarly sized.

• Like Like x 1
  5. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

:D:D:D:troll::troll:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Hysteocrates for sure. I've heard some taxonomists believe there's species of the genus larger than Theraphosa. Maybe @birdspidersCH can confirm? I think I read it on your channel.

Some Chilobrachys get really big too. My sp kraeng krachen is easily 7", most likely a little past 7.5". That's on par with alot of ow arboreals.

I've HEARD Haplopelma doriae is monstrous too. But I've never seen a live specimen or photos on a tape.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gogyeng

Gogyeng Arachnobaron Active Member

Yes Chilobrachys Kraeng krachen is enormous. Yet, not exceeding Pelinobius and Hysterocrates contenders, prob 7.5'-8' max, however the later two sp. are slooow growers so I wouldn't be surprised one can find a record-beating female 40yo. deep in a burrow,

8. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron Active Member

Thank You all, I didnt know Hysterocrates are so huge, definitely adding genus on my wishlist. :)
    Which (species)hobby mix would You reccomend ?

9. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Hystocrates are absolutely NOT slow growers by any stretch of the imagination....nothing at all like P. muticus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gogyeng

You are absolutely right, what was I thinking. Its only P muticus which takes ages to go through molts / higher longevity.

11. korg

korg Arachnobaron

From Hysterocrates only gigas, laticeps, and crassipes are really available (in the US hobby anyway) along with some populations that are labeled by locality (sp. "Cameroon" etc)... the taxonomic differences are pretty much just related to leg IV girth, and they otherwise seem to look, act, and grow pretty similarly. So similar in fact that there's been a lot of unfortunate hybridization over the years and most of what we see in the hobby is some kind of mash up of the above species on some level. All that aside, these are amazing spiders to keep! Great diggers, great eaters, fast growing, and look really nice in their own way. I'd recommend you pick up as many as you can!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  12. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Hollow Knight Arachnosupporter

S/P.Crassipes can get over 200mm in legspan (8"+) with the right care. I have read rumours of 260mm before but having never seen it in person I can't confirm if that's true. But yea, pretty dang big

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Has there been another revision?

14. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Hollow Knight Arachnosupporter

Of course not! Australia is too lazy to classify anything properly ;).
    Some people use Phlogius and others Selenocosmia so I figure I'd just use both to avoid confusion. All we know is some from Selenocosmia and Phlogius will be swapped

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. John2097

John2097 Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

NJ
    H hainanum , H schmidti ( cyriopagopus) gets pretty big and chunky. Bigger than my AF H gigas

H hainanum pair male is probably 6”
    FFD47AD9-2BAD-4821-920C-32E040B8F49E.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  16. korg

korg Arachnobaron

Quite the perspective in that shot... if the male on the right is 6" the female looks to be about 30"!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. John2097

NJ
    The female is only 7” dl

18. korg

korg Arachnobaron

It's definitely chunky too, like you said! And really towering over the male there. Nice spider.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Gogyeng

yes because its standing it looks even more enormous, a very large lady you have .=,)

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. John2097

NJ
    I’m always scared pairing this sp. I feel like when I put them together the female will grab the mm and destroy him in instant :nailbiting: Lol