Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Avicularia Braunshauseni

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Avicularia Variegata formerly known as Avicularia sp. Amazonica

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
A.avic morphotype 6 (previously A.metallica) get pretty big. Probably 7" at most.

None of the avics are real monsters as far as arboreals go though...you need to look into other genera. ;)

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Which Avicularia is the biggest?
All of those will reach 6-7" IME, as well as juruensis & rufa. Hard to say which is the biggest from my experience, plus individuals can vary. Although, I will say Avicularia avicularia "braunshauseni" isn't as "grizzled" or fluffy compared to the others giving them a more slender shape.

A.avic morphotype 6 (previously A.metallica) get pretty big. Probably 7" at most.

None of the avics are real monsters as far as arboreals go though...you need to look into other genera. ;)
Avicularia sp. Kwitara River fit the locality and color description of Avicularia avicularia m#6. Jus say'n...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never seen proof Kwitara River exceeds 7" DLS, read that it did from an owner, never saw a picture.

@CEC is right about the Goliath. I've owned them as well. They are particularly large as slings, but def. not a poofy Avic, like metallica or huriana.

Variegata gets pretty large as well. It's quite poofy, and certainly appears larger than the Goliath, but seeing is not the same as measuring ;)

No one really knows to the best of my knowledge which is the largest due to variation of specimens.

Avicularia sp. Kwitara River fit the locality and color description of Avicularia avicularia m#6. Jus say'n...
Except sp Kwitara River, or what was often called sp K.R. was really quite green in hue, very much a green version of A sp metallica. The two K.R.'s I owned were def. aqua-green, and not the blue found in sp metallica.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Except sp Kwitara River, or what was often called sp K.R. was really quite green in hue, very much a green version of A sp metallica. The two K.R.'s I owned were def. aqua-green, and not the blue found in sp metallica.
Do you happen to have pictures of those specimens?

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Sure, some will be more blue, some more green. There are slight color variations within morphotypes depending on locality.

boina

Lady of the mites
I will say Avicularia avicularia "braunshauseni" isn't as "grizzled" or fluffy compared to the others
@CEC is right about the Goliath. I've owned them as well. They are particularly large as slings, but def. not a poofy Avic, like metallica or huriana.
Ok, that's turned me off the braunshauseni. I was looking for one because I like the colors but I want fluff or poof in an Avic.

Except sp Kwitara River, or what was often called sp K.R. was really quite green in hue, very much a green version of A sp metallica.
I'll try to get a Kwitara River, then, this sounds great :)

What about huriana? People keep telling me they get quite big.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, that's turned me off the braunshauseni. I was looking for one because I like the colors but I want fluff or poof in an Avic.

I'll try to get a Kwitara River, then, this sounds great :)

What about huriana? People keep telling me they get quite big.

Braunshauseni are pretty much large A. avic in looks. Their blues are subtly different, and their rear legs are red setae. That's always what I look for as a trait to differentiate the two, they are not poofy in any way.

All the sp Kwitara River in the USA have come from Europe, even over there they are not too common, at least they weren't a few years ago. I know a couple people in the USA who have a juvi or AF, but no males to be had from what I know. They will give you a gorgeous aqua green color though, some more so than others. You won't get emerald green like E uatman slings. It takes a few molts for them to get aqua/turquoise color, easily by 2" you'll see the color. In my hands and another I heard of, they were notoriously SLOW growers. The slowest I've seen for Avic.

As for huriana, they don't get big, versi size nothing more. But they are definitely very, very poofy. More poofy than metallica IME.

Below is a juvi male. I had 2 sacmates and they ate very, very well.