Big Setup q's

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Been contemplating what ill do with 2 big ole spiders (l. para, a. geniculta) when they get grown. Since they will be for display mostly. i thought of getting one large aquarium and seperating it. I know there is alot of worry for tank seperating, but given that i do it properly and there is no way for the spiders to get to one another would this be a bad idea?
since both spiders have the same needs/requirements i just thought it would be easier to display them both together with good lighting etc. here is what i was looking at
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/fish/allglass/tanks/2065.gif
i guess to weigh the good and bad...

BAD:
1. could get to one another, cannibalism concerns

Good
Easier to display, looks nicer with good lighting.
less maintenance than multiple tanks
looks nice

anyone like to add?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The tank looks nice, what about 2 smaller ones so there is no concern of them getting to one another, they both eat like pigs so you know if they "happen" to get over you will have one very fat spider....good luck on your set up...and you are 100 % right, they are both awsome display spiders...I have a large female of each...

Regards, Mike ;)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would just do a ten gallon for each one. No worries about one eating the other and you can just use a lot of substrate and you won't have to worry about them falling.

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hhhmmm i just thought that it would be easier with one big on. what size in gallon is comfortable and then a little more for an adult of these species?
i also thought it would be less cords etc to mess with because i like good lighting, it is display after all.

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
why not use it for large sps. ex. T. blondi, L. parayhbana etc.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
You will pay a LOAD less for two 10 gall. tanks than you would for that big one.. that tank looks like at least a 50 gall. judging from the lights on top.

I've had a bad experience with a divided tank.. that "was immposible for the T's to get from one side to the other"
well it was.. barring human error..

How can it be less maintenance??
I think it's more of an issue for maintenance... because you can't just grab one T and temp house them go hose out the enclosure and resetup.. you must temp house two T's or worry about the other T when doing house keeping for one side.

DON'T RISK IT and save some $$.

my 2 cents

Last edited:

dOOb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i agree, seperate tanks are the way to go. they are easier to maintain, cheaper and definately more safe :)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah id go with two seperate 10 gallons.also if the divider is made of glass they could see each other and prob wouldnt like that.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
However you decide to house them is entirely up to you, but I wanted to add that "good lighting" shouldn't be considered at all since spiders abhor bright light. :)

Oh, and yes, 10 gallon tanks work great for those.

---
Wendy
---

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL, lighting is going to be for viewing, help with cleaning (so i can see) or just for looks, definetly not on all the time. also, a red light at night for viewing is in my plans as well.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd go with two 15gal tanks. When i had my big blondi in a 10gal she was very pissy, i put her in a 20gal and she became very calm. So 15gal is my vote.

-Matty

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hhhmmm looking all over the internet for the right 15 gal but i cant find anything i like...

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
solaceofwinter said:
hhhmmm looking all over the internet for the right 15 gal but i cant find anything i like...

A normal 15gal tank you can get at a pet store would work fine, unless you want something fancy.

-Matty

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Going with two will definatly be cheaper! Also, it saves you having to build a SAFE devider.

Just remember to rather have a too high substrate level than a too low one. If they don't like their setups they'll not shy away from climbing and when those giants fall you'll sense it in the next room and be looking forward to a funeral.

I wouldn't either use some aquarium lamp. Because that provides top heat. If they find it too cold down on the ground they'll climb again, which is a nono!

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hedorah99 said:
I would just do a ten gallon for each one. No worries about one eating the other and you can just use a lot of substrate and you won't have to worry about them falling.
took the words outta my mouth....

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Better to be safe then sorry i say
Id have them in seperate Tanks and do them both up beautifuly !
Its YOUR call though ! :clap: