Big, mean, terrestrial, display worthy

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another vote for the Nhandu chromatus.

My big girl is as nasty as they come, she will not hesitate to go into full threat display during any tank maintenance. She has gone full attack on my tweezers on several occasions.

I think this species fits the mentioned criteria.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Although I never owned one, C huahini fits the criteria. From what I've read anyway. Always wanted one of those.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, if it's a Lasiodora I find it hard to believe that it's all that defensive--the genus just isn't known for that. That being said, I've never had one so I suppose I have to withhold judgment.
Try one then. L difficilis is pretty quick to bite. Has moved some of these, and half of them vere pretty angry, one of them just tottally stuck her fangs in the pencil i was using to get her out of her hide. i moved her with the pencil and she didnt let go before she was in here new enclosure and got persuaded to let go. But it is a great T, but comes with an attitude.

MacKenzie001

Arachnopeon
Cool, thanks people. (well most)

Looks like it'll be one of these:
N. Chromatus
N. Coloratovillosus
A. Geniculata
L. parahybana (looks better than klugi or difficilus, imo)
H. Gigas

The others don't do it for me, and Blondi's seem too troublesome. The H. Gigas is standing out too because it can go in water!! I mean thats freakin cool, lol.

Just as a side note, I've had a P. Ornata and GBB before but wasn't really a fan. The GBB, although amazing, needs to be dry so no planted natural enclosure and the Ornata was just a little too crazy for me, especially after reading the bite reports, lol.

Thanks again guys, Mak

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I totally understand you because I myself was surprised by the LD's degree of defensiveness as compared to its LP cousin. I have a pic as proof:

My LD did a threat pose IN THE AIR! That was for me staring at it.

I wouldn't recommend a Nhandu chromatus though. Mine burrowed all the way to the bottom of the tank.
forgive me if I am wrong, but don't most T's get pissed off when you poke or prod them? In my opinion this is not a good example of a defensive/aggressive T. And like nature boy said any T will defend its turf, but once out of it, they are pretty docile.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Didn't you read my post? I said she showed me a threat pose for staring at her! I did not prod her. I did not poke her. I did nothing to her!

And she was the one that did NOT calm down outside of her enclosure.

And why do people keep bringing up the point that T's tend to calm down outside of their territories? I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW! I knew it BEFORE NB said it!

The point is the OP did NOT show any concern for that. The OP wanted a terrestrial big hungry visible T with a big attitude inside the display tank. Arguing whether a T will or will not calm down outside of the display tank is irrelevant! Cuz using that argument, there is no defensive/aggressive terrestrial T.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok what is that wire doing in there then?
It is part of the deco! Hard to see but you can see the wire is of the same color.

I will never ever poke my T with a metal wire! I have wooden sticks for poking purposes.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No prodding required, topping up the water dish provided this display.

She was in her coconut

Last edited:

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say N. Chromatus or an LP. My LP has plenty of attitude and is always doing something. For some reason it really hates its water dish. But like NB said..you take it out of the enclosure and onto the floor they're all pretty tame (to a certain degree). Get on swiftinverts.com and it will give you a good idea of what to get.

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is a genec pic I took a while back. I was getting her out to show a friend, and yes she was a puppy once she got out (minus the occasional hair in the eye) I had to test the waters on day, and she ate 3 roaches AT THE SAME TIME! As far as King Baboons go... good display once a year if you blow on her? And LP's are great spiders, mine is still growing. But I have to say for a display species genics own LP's, although they are a little smaller their color more than makes up for it.

Attachments

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice Otta, I didn't see your post. Mine does the same thing. I use the stream of a spray bottle to top mine off, she comes running. Does yours move stuff around? My girl is always re-arranging. I had never seen it before, but she will web up a nice mat like she is going to molt on or something, put cocoa fiber on top of it, and roll it over to the other side of the enclosure. He has got to have the most personality I have ever seen in a spider. Always doing something too. They really do make amazing display spiders. Blondi's are great for the size and what they are, but besides my last female kind of boring (compared to my geniculata). LP's are huge, but as a drab as a Blondi compaired to a genic

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get one of those insane weirdo G. rosea's. Have you made any decisions or narrowed it down any?

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Didn't you read my post? I said she showed me a threat pose for staring at her! I did not prod her. I did not poke her. I did nothing to her!

And she was the one that did NOT calm down outside of her enclosure.

And why do people keep bringing up the point that T's tend to calm down outside of their territories? I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW! I knew it BEFORE NB said it!

The point is the OP did NOT show any concern for that. The OP wanted a terrestrial big hungry visible T with a big attitude inside the display tank. Arguing whether a T will or will not calm down outside of the display tank is irrelevant! Cuz using that argument, there is no defensive/aggressive terrestrial T.
Desperate attempt, but extremely valid point. This is a discusion board, but it sucks when things get away from the point.

metalbum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
for the win
or it stands for something else also
but i meant it as for the win