Big, mean, terrestrial, display worthy

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
N. chromatus and N. coloratovillosus both have nasty attitudes. At least all of the ones I've had were throwing threat displays just from picking up their containers. Of course, they don't get as big as you want. Although, they are visible pretty much all the time.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of course, an A. geniculata is also suitable. However, in term of attitude, I definitely put the L. difficilis above the A. geniculata.
Well, if it's a Lasiodora I find it hard to believe that it's all that defensive--the genus just isn't known for that. That being said, I've never had one so I suppose I have to withhold judgment.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
N. chromatus and N. coloratovillosus both have nasty attitudes.
Mine don't. I let my 6 year old daughter handle them, A. geniculata, L. parahybana, P. cancerides--any new world besides a blondi (and if I owned one I'd probably let her handle it as well).

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have an N coloratovillosus who is without a doubt the feistiest NW T i have. She has taken many shots at my intruding fingers and tongs but has yet to get me. She is all about threat postures, flying tackles and assasinating averything that comes near. These guys get big too and IMO are a little more striking in appearance than A genic although quite similar.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, if it's a Lasiodora I find it hard to believe that it's all that defensive--the genus just isn't known for that. That being said, I've never had one so I suppose I have to withhold judgment.
I totally understand you because I myself was surprised by the LD's degree of defensiveness as compared to its LP cousin. I have a pic as proof:

My LD did a threat pose IN THE AIR! That was for me staring at it.

I wouldn't recommend a Nhandu chromatus though. Mine burrowed all the way to the bottom of the tank.

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an e.murinus males that purely psychotic. If you bump his cage hes gos into a threat posture.

John

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine don't. I let my 6 year old daughter handle them, A. geniculata, L. parahybana, P. cancerides--any new world besides a blondi (and if I owned one I'd probably let her handle it as well).
Good for you. All I know is that I've had several N. coloratovillosus that have behaved in the way I mentioned above. Plus, they are pretty to look at.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good for you. All I know is that I've had several N. coloratovillosus that have behaved in the way I mentioned above. Plus, they are pretty to look at.
I feel like a broken record. Cup and remove anything from its enclosure and you'll find the defensiveness drops 100% when it's off its turf. My nhandus
think they're "large and in charge" when in their enclosures (great shows!) but transform into E. campestratus when out.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feel like a broken record. Cup and remove anything from its enclosure and you'll find the defensiveness drops 100% when it's off its turf. My nhandus
think they're "large and in charge" when in their enclosures (great shows!) but transform into E. campestratus when out.
Heh. Territoriality in effect. Works for lots of animals. Maybe even some humans. :)

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think whether the T is docile outside of the enclosure is not relevant to what the OP wants. The OP seems to want something that is visible and shows a lot of attitude inside a display tank. And for that, the Lasiodora difficilis is a good candidate, plus it is the largest (as compared to P. cancerides, A. geniculata and N. colloratovillosus) and comes pact with appetite.

To additionally prove the point about appetite. Compare the size of the carapace and the abdomen!

The only reason few people recommend this specie is because of its cousin - the Lasiodora parahybana. Too many people have the LP and then generalize the LP to the LD. So they think "Oh, an LD is just gonna be like an LP so let's not get one". That's why it's not so popular. The LD is NOT just a smaller LP! It is a smaller LP with 1000% more attitude! Go get one!

Dang, I should do a LD promotional video or something. {D

Last edited:

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That has not been the case with my Nhandus. I understand where you are coming from. I just think it depends on the individual t. When I've packed or unpacked N. chormatus and coloratovillosus they have always tried to bite at whatever got close to them.

I'm curious, how long have you been keeping t's?

I guess I'm just from the old school of not holding them. Actually, I don't see a reason to hold any t. There's always a risk of injury to the t and I just don't want to be responsible for that. Please don't think you have to try to educate me on the proper way to hold one. I know all about it.:rolleyes:

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ahhhh...well, if you're using NWs as your point of reference I suppose you can claim to have a point. Personally, I've never encountered a NW species or individual that I'd consider to be the slightest bit defensive.
I use NWs as a reference, because the OP wants something big, terrestrial and display worthy.....at the moment, I can't think of an OW species what is big and lives above the ground (I like Haplos and King Baboons-I've just bought 2 lividum slings:D - but IMO a burrower isn't a good display pet...)

PS. I agree with you, you can't compare the geniculata's attitude to the King Baboon's for example...;)

WildF4u

Arachnopeon
A P. Platoymma... Big, beautiful, and aggresive.. Mine attacks the tweezers when i clean cricket remains. King Baboons you will only see at night. .
G austriata is good too.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think whether the T is docile outside of the enclosure is not relevant to what the OP wants. The OP seems to want something that is visible and shows a lot of attitude inside a display tank. And for that, the Lasiodora difficilis is a good candidate, plus it is the largest (as compared to P. cancerides, A. geniculata and N. colloratovillosus) and comes pact with appetite.

To additionally prove the point about appetite. Compare the size of the carapace and the abdomen!

The only reason few people recommend this specie is because of its cousin - the Lasiodora parahybana. Too many people have the LP and then generalize the LP to the LD. So they think "Oh, an LD is just gonna be like an LP so let's not get one". That's why it's not so popular. The LD is NOT just a smaller LP! It is a smaller LP with 1000% more attitude! Go get one!

Dang, I should do a LD promotional video or something. {D
That is awesome testdasi. I always assumed they were docile too. I'll have to get a difficilis now!
TBH

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! Mine showed me threat poses so many times that I kinda just ignored it. and made sure it was at the other side of the enclosure when I picked up trashes or refilled water dish.

I forgot to say. One of my 3 LD did not calm down outside of the enclosure. I tried to handle it and it was in a threat pose the whole time. Couldn't calm it down. Didn't try handling the other 2 though so can't tell if I get a truly psycho LD or it's just a general specie thing.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! Mine showed me threat poses so many times that I kinda just ignored it. and made sure it was at the other side of the enclosure when I picked up trashes or refilled water dish.

I forgot to say. One of my 3 LD did not calm down outside of the enclosure. I tried to handle it and it was in a threat pose the whole time. Couldn't calm it down. Didn't try handling the other 2 though so can't tell if I get a truly psycho LD or it's just a general specie thing.
That's pretty crazy, I didn't know they had such an appetite either. I just thought it was a funny looking parahybana.
TBH

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. gigas burrows something awesome but shows quite regularly, and it swims. what more can you ask for