Big feeding night

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It would appear I was sold two dozen large male crickets. D'oh!

Now, I can handle a couple of chirps here and there, but the chirping from the cupboard they are kept in sounds like a field at dusk. lol

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i tend to murder male crickets, but i found a solution. ever hear of vestigial Drosophila flies? well turns out after a few generations you can do it to crickets too. i had a batch of chirpless crickets going for about 4 generations, all you have to do is look at all your males and find one that isnt chirping, and not because it has an injury like ripped wing. then breed it and take the males from the batch and breed em again. it only took me 2 gen to get the chirpless and i kept em for another 4. idk if anyone else has experience doing this, but nessecity is the mother of invention, and those males drive me mad!!!

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ugh. I tend to buy extra crickets so I can toss the males out. Don't want them in my room, at all. When I used to have rats, I'd feed the males to them, they enjoyed the extra protein. Now I toss them out to the chickens.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i tend to murder male crickets, but i found a solution. ever hear of vestigial Drosophila flies? well turns out after a few generations you can do it to crickets too. i had a batch of chirpless crickets going for about 4 generations, all you have to do is look at all your males and find one that isnt chirping, and not because it has an injury like ripped wing. then breed it and take the males from the batch and breed em again. it only took me 2 gen to get the chirpless and i kept em for another 4. idk if anyone else has experience doing this, but nessecity is the mother of invention, and those males drive me mad!!!

Haha...you could get rich selling those thing.

I've seen male crickets that clearly had something abnormal going on...not sure if it was what you saw. The wings were short around rounded to the point that the abdomen stuck out well behind them. Never thought of selectively breeding them.

I actually find chirping quite entertaining...but once you get to 100+ crickets guests and others don't.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha...you could get rich selling those thing.

I've seen male crickets that clearly had something abnormal going on...not sure if it was what you saw. The wings were short around rounded to the point that the abdomen stuck out well behind them. Never thought of selectively breeding them.
yup, thats exactly it, it results from inbreeding, and you can exploit it for a few gen, but it kills em after a while just like Drosophia flies

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Normally the few chirpers I get, meet my big girls immediately.

But, when I get a bag full of them, the big girls eat large.

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
taking care of 40+ t.s =awesome crix for 40+ t.s= annoying feeding 40+ t.s crix and then releasing the extra 60 criy the petstore employees tend to give on top of the 100 needed to feed the ts=priceless haha i now live in chirping grove apts hahaha im an ass hahaha

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and wow shagrath666 is your name a referance to dimmu borgir ? im thinking yes but just curious and no not trying to hijack the thread haha