Betta tank turned arboreal enclosure

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Had an old 2.5 gallon betta tank laying around. Also have a P. cam that could use a new enclosure. Seemed like a logical project to undertake.

First step would be adding ventilation holes. I used a tape measure to draw a rough pattern on some paper.
28443DC0-FB78-4649-B3D0-B63ED146E0F1.jpeg
Next this was taped on to the tank. I used a small drill bit and got to it.
482A2C46-F7DA-44EE-91AC-0C890EC65A1A.jpeg
The first hole resulted in a crack. I adjusted my technique, and found that if I applied little to no pressure I could get holes in the plastic without it cracking.
C79A2365-F36E-4F6F-A444-428D53226528.jpeg
This resulted in the bit wandering, I found if the holes were started slightly above and to the right, once the bit started to find purchase it would be close to the mark. The pattern was then placed on the opposite side and more holes drilled.
027CB52E-D5ED-48D0-BE0D-4312AB0171C4.jpeg
Next I applied a generous layer of silicone to back area of tank. Onto the wet silicone I applied a chuck of cork bark and a mixture of coco fiber and forest moss.
390B17B0-5986-4C91-B5B3-EBAA0682FB24.jpeg
Will probably need another round of silicone and substrate to fill in all areas of the back ground. Next step will be creating a lid out of sheet acrylic.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Starting to come together will look great when it's all setup! Making enclosures is my favourite part. I have 1 T with 3 on the way but 7 enclosures!

I like to use a soldering iron for ventilation. No skirting over the surface and no cracking. But using a drill you can get more uniform holes easier so apples and oranges :)

I made the mistake of buying thin acrylic for the lid of my B. ablo. Somehow it has sunk in the middle so the corners stick up. I have to keep a rock on each corner to weigh it down!

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Yes I foresee the same potential problem with the thin sheet I purchased. Think I may add some bracing to prevent this.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
So it’s been set up for a few months now. I tried adding two layers of 3 mm akrylic around the hinge area. Still getting some warping, but nothing major. Lighting is a cheap Home Depot led that comes with remote to change colours. Placed moss and pothos on opposite side of enclosure from T’s cork tube. Light was placed directly over plant area. During the day cycle (when I remember to turn it on) the T has a dark area to retreat to. During the night under the red lights it hangs out on the out side of the cork tube. So far I’m happy with the result, although the inhabitant will probably be too big in a moult or two.

Attachments