Best Ways to Confront Poor Pet Store Care

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
As the title implies, what are the most effective ways to talk to a pet store owner about the poor care of their Ts.

My local pet store has 2 juvie Avic. avics in (poor) terrestrial setups and 2 juvie M. robustums in poor terrestrial setups. I was planning on buying an M. robustum from them because I feel bad for the T and the price isn’t bad. I can’t save all of the Ts though and I’m not sure what to do

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
Are we talking like large chain petstores or smaller,independently owned “exotic” pet stores? I feel like trying to correct a LPS would be like yelling into a void. I don’t think proper husbandry is part of their concern.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Are we talking like large chain petstores or smaller,independently owned “exotic” pet stores? I feel like trying to correct a LPS would be like yelling into a void. I don’t think proper husbandry is part of their concern.
It is an independant store, not a chain

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As the title implies, what are the most effective ways to talk to a pet store owner about the poor care of their Ts.
I have an idea, but unfortunately, today's technology isn't so powerful nor that 'money friendly'.

Anyway, my idea is to intensively clone the 'The Simpsons'™ 'Comic Book Guy'™ - obviously those clones would be T's only focused - and put a clone into every God damn it, selling T's pet shops. The clones would annoy the hell out of the owners with valid, not requested, advices 24/7 X 365 :)

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
It is an independant store, not a chain
Well then, you might have more luck if it’s one of those small stores. I guess it would come down to the owner. If he/she seems like a reasonable person maybe drop a hint that they would be better off in (name the husbandry parameters). They could just be misinformed. There is a ridiculous amount of misinformation out there.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Stone Cold stunners for every member of the staff until they comply. At least, that is what's worked for me in the past.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
And that's the bottom line, cuz @nicodimus22 said so

If you want to continue being a patron, then just asking or talking wouldn't hurt but maybe use a little tact so that you don't become shunned or exiled. If you don't care well you can say your piece, emblazoned with the fury and passion of a well informed hobbyist (or ten thousand suns, take your pick) and hope for the best.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Well then, you might have more luck if it’s one of those small stores. I guess it would come down to the owner. If he/she seems like a reasonable person maybe drop a hint that they would be better off in (name the husbandry parameters). They could just be misinformed. There is a ridiculous amount of misinformation out there.
And that's the bottom line, cuz @nicodimus22 said so

If you want to continue being a patron, then just asking or talking wouldn't hurt but maybe use a little tact so that you don't become shunned or exiled. If you don't care well you can say your piece, emblazoned with the fury and passion of a well informed hobbyist (or ten thousand suns, take your pick) and hope for the best.
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I picked up one of their juvie M. robustums tonight. Probably going to go back in a day or two to have a casual conversation with them about T husbandry. I may even offer to make an enclosure for them as a guide for future Ts. Shouldn't cost me more than $15 to do and I feel like it will go a lot further than if I just go in and act like a kind know it all. I'll update after

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Another idea that a business might actually be receptive to is bringing up that they might sell better or be more appealing to customers if they were set up in an enclosure that actually makes them feel comfortable and encourages natural behavior. All they do otherwise is usually cower in a corner doing nothing and be completely uninteresting to potential customers.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Another idea that a business might actually be receptive to is bringing up that they might sell better or be more appealing to customers if they were set up in an enclosure that actually makes them feel comfortable and encourages natural behavior. All they do otherwise is usually cower in a corner doing nothing and be completely uninteresting to potential customers.
That's a clever angle. Thanks for that

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I picked up one of their juvie M. robustums tonight. Probably going to go back in a day or two to have a casual conversation with them about T husbandry. I may even offer to make an enclosure for them as a guide for future Ts. Shouldn't cost me more than $15 to do and I feel like it will go a lot further than if I just go in and act like a kind know it all. I'll update after
What was the price? No pet store near me sells Ts , petsupplies you have to special order that is just reidicoulos they no longer sell it them in store .probably less die this way but stores in bigger cities still keep them .:chicken:
Wish ida got more g rosea before they were gone , I’ll just have to buy slings on aB someday.:eek: So does anyone’s g rosea kick hairs? Mine don’t

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Educate them, I used to setup my local stores displays for them, takes some effort but if you care there's quite a lot you can do.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
One problem with having a proper setup for a M. robustum in a pet store - no one will ever see it. If it's anything like mine, and from what I've read most are, it will be one of the biggest pet holes out there. I don't know if a pet store owner is going to want a setup that keeps people from seeing a animal he's trying to sell.

Last edited:

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
What was the price? No pet store near me sells Ts , petsupplies you have to special order that is just reidicoulos they no longer sell it them in store .probably less die this way but stores in bigger cities still keep them .:chicken:
Wish ida got more g rosea before they were gone , I’ll just have to buy slings on aB someday.:eek: So does anyone’s g rosea kick hairs? Mine don’t
It was $80 CAD which is about $60 USD. Probably about 4 inches DLS

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not to be a debbie downer... But there isn't. Pet stores are notorious for not keeping animals right and are generally not interested in improving their care. There have been phone calls, letters, emails, visits from members here, and it hasn't had very much effect. Just type pet store/petco in the search function on here, you'll get hundreds of threads dealing with this.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Not to be a debbie downer... But there isn't. Pet stores are notorious for not keeping animals right and are generally not interested in improving their care. There have been phone calls, letters, emails, visits from members here, and it hasn't had very much effect. Just type pet store/petco in the search function on here, you'll get hundreds of threads dealing with this.
Kind of how I’m feeling about this now. May still try but pet holes don’t sell well. A cute fuzzy T sitting on the wall may.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
. I don't know if a pet store owner is going to want a setup that keeps people from seeing a animal he's trying to sell.
Not many would mate, so easier to set them up so people can see them. Not as ideal as a 'proper' setup but better than a cricket tub I usually find

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have had some success with gently advising pet stores on how to improve their set ups. I have also had pet store owners get really nasty... how dare I suggest I know better than they do?!

One of my favourite pet stores always has a wide variety of Ts (way overpriced usually, though)... but they are quite often mislabeled. They have come to know me and my experience as a keeper, so I have no problem speaking up about mislabeling or husbandry issues, and they are always happy to make the corrections... so maybe making yourself a familiar face would help?