Best time to catch spiders.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
I've been trying to find out what spider are living around my house (already found out what one of. them is)and I was wandering is there a "best" time to catch spiders?

---------- Post added 04-12-2013 at 05:55 PM ----------

*Spiders* I meant to say

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I've been trying to find out what spider are living around my house (already found out what one of. them is)and I was wandering is there a "best" time to catch spiders?

---------- Post added 04-12-2013 at 05:55 PM ----------

*Spiders* I meant to say
Spring to summer is the best time. So right now :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
For me, I definitely find the most during the morning hours, before 10. If you can find a pine tree anywhere, spiders seem to LOVE those. There are two huge pine trees a few doors down from me, and every summer they absolutely glisten with all the webs. I plan on picking up a couple this time around :D

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
For me, I definitely find the most during the morning hours, before 10. If you can find a pine tree anywhere, spiders seem to LOVE those. There are two huge pine trees a few doors down from me, and every summer they absolutely glisten with all the webs. I plan on picking up a couple this time around :D
Ahhh, I didn't even think of time of day. I think it depends what species you are looking to find. A lot are nocturnal so 1am is usually when I set out to find those spiders. Others though are very adapt to daytime hunting (jumping spiders, lynx spiders, flower crab spiders) and those guys I definitely find with ease in the afternoon (around 12-1pm for me).

Depends a lot on where you live though, temperatures change behavior and hunting.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Match the spider to it's prey. When the correct bug is out en masse, so is the spider. Early evenings for the hunting crowd is also a good rule of thumb. A perfect example is we got our first heavy rain of the year last night and the termites are swarming. So we will have wolfies and huntsman galore within a couple of weeks. But only the sheet web spinners are interested in termites, not the orb weaver crowd.

web eviction

Arachnolord
All kinds living here, I find they like to sneak up the sidewalk between 10 and 11:30 in boxes marked FedEx..... :p