Best Subsrtate?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I guess my biggest issue with topsoil is that every one I have found around here has come with a host of other things living in it and while most are simply the minuscule pests at best I am concerned with something being in it that could be potentially harmful like a parasite or something. Our current location unfortunately doesn't give me access to much of a variety.
Actually if you are concerned (and trust me I understand you well) about topsoil, avoid that. Coco fiber and Irish moss peat are perfectly fine as well.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
no offense, but you sound like a beginner way over complicating things. id hold off on any Theraphosa. like, i bought a plastic tub from walmart, poked a bunch of holes with a soldering iron, put some peatmoss/eco earth in, decorated it, and done. nothing complex and it works great, cost me like 10 bucks too.
None taken :). Like I said Ive been out of Ts for 7 years and have gotten into the reptile mindset where big, elaborate and grand are better. I see a 7" blondi and would give it something like a 75 gallon space wise to live in lol.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You do like a 50/50 on that?
No, I don't use topsoil. The last thing I want is to risk my inverts using the brands available here in Italy. I don't mix either. I usually buy KG's of loose bags (I hate bricks) of coco fiber and Irish peat moss. My 0.1 S.subspinipes is housed in Irish peat moss substrate, while 90% of my T's in coco fiber.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
No, I don't use topsoil. The last thing I want is to risk my inverts using the brands available here in Italy. I don't mix either. I usually buy KG's of loose bags (I hate bricks) of coco fiber and Irish peat moss. My 0.1 S.subspinipes is housed in Irish peat moss substrate, while 90% of my T's in coco fiber.
Ah ok, I misread that as you mixed the two lol.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
For t stirmi, it's pretty simple. Big Rubbermaid tub with holes drilled on sides and top for circulation, 7 inches of jungle mix for moisture retention, a huge hide and water dish, and optional springtails for cleaning. Well, that's my setup. I watched Eulersk's vid and made a great lid.

Attachments

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
That lid looks awesome. I'll have to see if the local store has springtails or not. Otherwise I will have to order them online and wait.

cold blood

Staff member
I've never used springtails, so don't consider them a necessity...just a help. But I would wait and add springtails later if you use them, as springtails added to a new, basically sterile enclosure, they probably won't do well. Added a few months after and they would likely flourish.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Was thinking of adding a few to my reptile vivariums as well. :)
Springtails are freaking awesome. Try roachcrossing.com if you want a wide variety of species. The species that I have randomly popped up in my enclosures (could've came with the topsoil?) one day and they have since spread to all of my moist enclosures, many times on their own accord.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Well, there you have it, everyone has their opinion on what the "best substrate" is.
I'm aligned w/h @cold blood and @Poec54 using topsoil as the preferred substrate. Cheap, less than $2 for a 40 lb. bag and easily obtained. Enclosure weight is not a factor for me, but might be for some other keepers.
If you want to make blends, thats your choice, Ts make do with what you offer. I do, however, add a small amount of vermiculite to the asian fossorial's topsoil for moisture retention.
I've yet to use "clean up" crews, I like to K.I.S.S.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well, there you have it, everyone has their opinion on what the "best substrate" is.
I'm aligned w/h @cold blood and @Poec54 using topsoil as the preferred substrate. Cheap, less than $2 for a 40 lb. bag and easily obtained. Enclosure weight is not a factor for me, but might be for some other keepers.
If you want to make blends, thats your choice, Ts make do with what you offer. I do, however, add a small amount of vermiculite to the asian fossorial's topsoil for moisture retention.
I've yet to use "clean up" crews, I like to K.I.S.S.
I like kisses as well, but somehow i get the feeling thst is not what you meant by that :D
What does K.I.S.S. mean?