Best Starter Tarantula

Harry123

Arachnopeon
I have been doing some research but thought i'd ask because someone might reply, i want to get a tarantula but unlike most people i don't want one that's going to grow massive and i'm not really thinking about handling it as its bad. Does anyone know an easy beginner species which is relatively smaller and can be maintained easily? Or is it better to get a scorpion? Is there anything else i should know as a beginner?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Could you define "massive" or at least give us an idea of the maximum size you think you'd be comfortable with, most beginner species max out in the 5-6 inch range (you can get smaller ones but they might be slightly more difficult to acquire) and are very easy to maintain anyway.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Definitely agree with grym, what other kinds of criteria are you looking for? Any specific colors, growth rate, or habits that might make you sway one way or another?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I agree with the others who posted above, if it is just based off that criteria I would recommend the E. Sp. red as they are smaller, easy to care for. However if growth rate is something that matters to you, then the GBB is a good choice.

basin79

ArachnoGod
For me a juvenile or young adult female Brachypelma hamorii (used to be Brachypelma Smithi) is the perfect tarantula. Whether a beginner or an experienced keeper who hasn't yet got one.

They're a great size. Around 6" mark. Extremely long life lived, colourful and are easy to keep.

My adult female and my favourite tarantula.

sasker

Arachnoprince
If by 'massive' you mean tarantulas like Theraphosa stirmi, Phormictopus sp., Pamphobeteus sp. and such, there are plenty of species to choose from. I second @basin79 's recommendation of B. hamorii. They get big, but not so big as aforementioned species. It is a 'starter' but it will likely remain one of your favourites. I am not sure which of my spiders is my favourite, but my B. hamorii is somewhere at the top of the list.

Euathlus sp. red is indeed a good species as well, but feeding wise it can be a bit of a problem. I hear a lot of keepers who have trouble getting them to eat, never see them eat unless it is a dead prey item, etc. Mine was not too bad, but it was not by far a great eater (unlike my B. hamorii :D).

You could go for a dwarf species if you want a smaller spider, but I think you would be better off with a tarantula of the Brachypelma genus.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think the OP is in the UK so getting anything other than slings is nigh on impossible and even those are pretty rare.
100% correct.
If I'm not wrong, I remember a particular time where those (I don't remember now exactly which specie/s were) were on sale in UK, and in Europe in general. But lasted not that much.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
For me a juvenile or young adult female Brachypelma hamorii (used to be Brachypelma Smithi) is the perfect tarantula.
*Ahem*

OP, ignore me, I somehow managed to get a broken B. hamorii from Poland, most of my tarantulas are weirdos who don't behave how they're supposed to, pretty much like their current owner :rofl:

Harry123

Arachnopeon
Probably a better question would be what the size of the enclosure for the species would need to be? I already have a crestie taking most of the space on my desk so would need something that fits.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, liking the B. hamorii and could anyone give more detail about possible dwarf spiders?

Also i found this one, the Euathlus sp, i'm thinking this would be a nice size.

basin79

ArachnoGod
*Ahem*

OP, ignore me, I somehow managed to get a broken B. hamorii from Poland, most of my tarantulas are weirdos who don't behave how they're supposed to, pretty much like their current owner :rofl:
My lass has never thrown me a defensive posture.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
100% correct.
If I'm not wrong, I remember a particular time where those (I don't remember now exactly which specie/s were) were on sale in UK, and in Europe in general. But lasted not that much.
Slings pop up in sales lists very rarely and are all sold off very quickly, I wanted 2 when I got mine but the seller only had 1 left, I'm happy with that though, mine is a great eater and I love watching it wrestle with mini mealworms at feeding time.

sasker

Arachnoprince
My lass has never thrown me a defensive posture.
Neither did mine. Just be careful not to stick your fingers in the enclosure (I don't see any good reason why anyone would do such a thing, but anway...), because she has quite an appetite when not in premolt :D

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I honestly love my Hapalopus sp. "Pumpkin Patch". Definitely a dwarf species, mine is probably an inch at best right now, but they get their adult colors at like 1/4 of an inch and they're just stunning. Mine is probably one of my calmest spiders, but also seems very curious.

Here's an old picture:
20171206_154721.jpg

I also really like P. scrofa. They're very pretty, on the smaller side, and quite hardy.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Mine is probably one of my calmest spiders, but also seems very curious.
It is also a very fast spider. The only ever 'escape' I had was with this species. It just bolted out, but luckily it remained on the outside of the enclosure. Now it behaves pretty much the same as my I. mira i.e. it became a trapdoor spider that I never see.

Last edited:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
It is also a very fast spider. The only ever 'escape' I ever had was with this species. I just bolted out, but luckily it remained on the outside of the enclosure. Now it behaves pretty much the same as my I. mira i.e. it became a trapdoor spider that I never see.
Mine is not fast at all. It moves at a glacial pace. Even catching its prey at a leisurely pace.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I’ll throw in a suggestion for a B. albopilosum. Moderately sized, pretty simple husbandry, mind-numbingly fluffy.

cold blood

Staff member
The best T is E. sp. Red, females max out at about 3", and can live in a ExoTerra Breeder Box SMALL.

Agreed....if you can't find these...P. scrofa is an excellent choice....as is Thrixopelma cyaneolum (IMO the hands down best beginner species on the planet)