Best starter Old World Tarantula for a beginner in the trade?

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I'm not refuting this. You guys do a good thing.

I'm just playing pessimist here.

How many "should I get an OBT?" threads do you think are started with the TC not already having their credit card ready?

Like I said here seems to be the exception. So... You guys fought the good fight and won.

But again I'm not questioning your behavior.

Mostly the point these topics. When it seems like most is to (as Poec points out) to play macho and proclaim "I AM GETTING THIS TARANTULA! DID YOU ALL SEE THAT I'M GETTING THIS TARANTULA!? I'M ABOUT TO BUY IT.... OK... HERE GOES.... DON'T TRY TO STOP ME"

Just skip that phase and be an adult about it if you're not going to listen.

I have some OW.

I didn't make a bunch of threads about it.

I don't give advice about them.

I listen to everything these guys say about them. I'm aware thay my experiences mean nothing in the long run so far. I am but a spec in the tarantula keeping timeline.

But I don't wave it around as some badge of honor. They're just part of my collection. And it's a collection I'll readily admit I grew too large too quick. Hence I'm done. 3 just died. You bet I want to replace them. Especially my LP. :(

But I have 13 left that demand my attention. And I mean. I let 3 die somehow. Including that LP who was much before his time at only just under 6".

And the #1 thing that has humbled me was my OBT slings. I'd worked very well with 2 different adults. I've rehoused them, unpacked them, housed them. One of them was feisty too. Still was easy to figure out.
I have two 1.5" P. regalis, 2 H. maculata slings too 1" and .5". All of which have been very simple to learn and care for and house and maintain.

These 2 slings.

Are by far the most frustrating tarantulas I have. I actually do not enjoy feeding them, giving them water, cleaning... Etc.
They scramble, spaz out, bolt, want to escape. And grow about as quick as the Pokies do. So like weeds.

They're cool to observe. They web like crazy. I watched both of them molt. They're orange with patterned abdomens even at that size.

But are an absolute handful.

And deserve every ounce of respect and reputation they are given.

Are they too much? No. But are they what I expected/wanted? No.

I'm honest at least about my path. And I'll share that with the new and old here.

Back to my original point. It seems a lot of these threads are people fooling themselves.
This, THIS just proves it. Thank you.

Sorry for your loss tough :(

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 12:40 PM ----------

Also, yeesh. Getting PM'd sarcastic things because I spoke my mind. Some people.
Well that is very unnecessary.. I would've understand if you were talking a load of BS (but you didn't! lol).. very grown up people! Very mature!.. ignore them moxie, some people just don't have better things to do with their time

Last edited: