Best setup for a P. murinus?

Ace Man

Arachnopeon
Up until now, my T enclosures have been fairly simple. My G. Rosea has vermiculite and a piece of cork bark and my P. murinus has a mixture of vermiculite and wood chips with a burrow that i constructed for her so that i can see her a bit more. Although the latter set up looks quite pretty, it's still rather plain and boring. has anyone got any pics of their set up or any ideas of what I can do? :? I would post a pic of the enclosures but I'm moving soon and everything I need has been packed.

harrymaculata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i keep my p.murinus in an arboreal setup caus there semi arboreal (RCF are anyway) this comprises of a tall enclosure, 2 inches of vermiculite, tall cork bark propped up the side and some silk plants to brighten it up. and can i ask why you keep you Rosea on vericulite with cork bark some of them do burrow so its good with opertunistic burrowers to give em bout 3-4 inches of peat/coco fibre mixed with vermiculite at about a 60/40 mix just what i do only my advice good luck ;)

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi "Ace Man",

i keep all my Pterinochilus in 20cmx20cmx20cm plastic boxes with 3/4 (15cm) substrate.

You can see a "from above" picture on my website (baboonspiders.de) from a P. murinus UMV tank.

Reference:
  • WENDT, I. & T. RAAB (2005): Die Gattung Pterinochilus (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Harpactirinae), mit Hauptaugenmerk auf Pterinochilus murinus POCOCK, 1897. ARACHNE 10(3): 13-23

Ace Man

Arachnopeon
She's in a standard tarantula/reptile/fish starter tank which is 12" x 9" x 8" and has about 4" of substrate. If I hadn't provided a burrow it would've been deep enough for her to dig her own. Harry, I've always used vermiculite for my Rosie. Ive had her about 2 years now and she does attempt to burrow. I wouldn't say it was architectually sound but she arranges everything the way she wants it. She just uses webbing to keep everything in place. The way that the cork bark is it kind of forms a small hide. She just digs out underneath it and uses that as a burrow. She's happy enough (I think) and has just had her second molt since I've had her. In fact, my P. murinus molted a few days later!!! {D By the way Raab, I couldn't find the "from above" pic. Have you got a direct link to it?

Ace Man

Arachnopeon
Thanx Timo. She hasn't gone to that extreme yet but the burrow I gave her WAS see through with a viewing window and now I can't see inside the burrow at all!!

Ace Man

Arachnopeon
my avatar is of my P. murinis (called Tango) telling me to back off when I moved her to a slightly larger enclosure. Polite isn't she?!