Best Roaches for Planted Terrariums?

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
Hi!
With a spare display terrarium in my possession, I kind of want to create a planted (or just decorated) terrarium for a small roach colony. All of my current species (besides E. pallidus) are extremely shy, and would probably fare poorly with live plants and low amounts of soil. Does anyone know of any good roach species for planted terrariums (arboreal or non burrowing)? Thanks!

PS: Sorry if this question is too similar to a recently asked one, I just thought that it didn't really fit with that other post.

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
I'm considering Pacific beetle roaches, because I've kept nymphs before. I'm a bit scared of the chemical release though (the nymphs were fine, but what about adults). That's probably why I've never kept anything more venomous than a Polistes wasp (even though I've wanted some highly venomous inverts before)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I'm gonna say you'd want a small Ectobiid species for a planted terrarium, as they don't burrow, and are so small that many of them don't create a lot of filth.

There are a lot of US natives that would fit the bill, like your Ectobius pallidus, but they can be fragile and hard to rear. Maybe the small Ectobiidae sp. "Malaysia", AKA the Little Penguin Roach?

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
Actually, that could be a great idea! Plus, I would probably be able to keep other insects with the colony since its a small species.
Thanks!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Actually, that could be a great idea! Plus, I would probably be able to keep other insects with the colony since its a small species.
Thanks!
NP, happy to help! :) Forgot to mention though, the little penguins do climb, so be sure their tank has a tight lid or some sort of barrier to prevent escape!

Also, the best place to buy the little penguins from is probably TheRoachLab. :)

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
Thanks!
I assumed that they could climb if they were anything like my Ectobius. My Ectobius also jump better than most of my crickets (even my Ceuthophilus!)