Best reptiles that don't need UV light?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure these two should be living together. :eek:
LOL I did not see that! Yeah I'd seperate them ASAP(and consider longterm housing seriously for the Ally if you haven't already since it will get so large).

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL I did not see that! Yeah I'd seperate them ASAP(and consider longterm housing seriously for the Ally if you haven't already since it will get so large).
I didn't notice that either. {D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are illegal to catch now in Texas but I don't "think" the Texas Alligator Lizard needs much but probably needs some UV. That's a real neat native lizard. Before they were illegal to sell in the stores, I saw them going for around $50 and it's a local lizard. I'm kind of assuming they don't need much UV because I would usually find them in the shade around treed creek beds, but I have seen them sunning on a rock or road too.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Indeed, probably not as sun loving as Sceloporus or similar. I think they do still need UV, however as a diurnal species that occasionally basks. Now, perhaps they could be kept with only D3 supplementation but I think with a large tame lizard such as that taking it outside is no problemo.Their are many similar lizards available in the hobby from other places with no legal issues.

Reptile Kid

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know of any lizard that needs no 24/7 UVA/B and heat lamps. (my mom doesn’t want any snake)

AverageTy

Arachnopeon
I think gargoyles, crested geckos and the other new Caledonian geckos don't. Some can be fed just a prepared food as well making them even easier to keep.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Crested Gecko was going to be my suggestion, as well. They like cooler temps and don't need any supplemental light.

gerryfkno

Arachnopeon
I've also kept king and milk snakes with and without UV light and didn't see any difference in health either way. Wasn't providing any vitamins either just a steady diet of mice plus an occasional lizard.

Seems to be much more important to lizards though especially Chinese water dragons and several others. Nowadays I give UV light plus calcium with D3 and occasionally a multivitamin. While it may not be vital to some it certainly doesn't hurt. I try to do everything I can to give them the best life/health as possible.

They have compact fluorescent bulbs that provide UV light now. Very little chance of one starting a fire but they don't provide any heat either. For heat I started using zilla compact mini halogen fixtures and bulbs which come with a spring clamp that hooks them to a screen top for safety. Also get as much heat out of a 50w bulb as you get out of a 100-150w infrared/incandescent bulbs and lifespan is much longer. Really digging them so far

GRosea

Arachnopeon
I agree with a lot of people- snakes are really one of the best ways to go. My current snake doesn't have any UV lights, just a heat mat, and she's healthy as can be. Mind you, it's always good to have at least one clear side on an enclosure for a snake, after all having no light isn't exactly good! Snakes do fine with or without a light- I'd assume that a light is best if the room it is housed in is poorly lit.
So, yeah- I'd advise a snake.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
(Replying 14 years late for some reason).
I cannot help but bring up house geckos in the discussion of reptiles not needing heat lamps.
There are probably other geckos that don't need heat lamps, but house geckos are the most obvious examples. They are literally adapted to life indoors, although only in somewhat tropical settings.
They don't need much other than heat, humidity, insects, and moisture to drink to survive.

That's why they are spreading around the world. They are the "cellar spider" among the usually specialized reptiles, which are generally hard to maintain in domestic conditions, and suffer as a result of urbanization.
They can even lay eggs indoors.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
As a general rule, anything nocturnal wouldn't require UV light. Dart frogs are diurnal, but they live under the rain forest canopy and are generally not exposed to any direct sunlight.

utahraptor9000

Arachnopeon
From my admittedly limited understand, crested geckos do not need UVB lighting and depending on the temperature of the room you keep them in may not need heating, either. They also have the nice bonus of not requiring live insects in their diet, which is a major plus when considering how other people feel about roaches, crickets, etc.

Although, cresties do benefit from UVB. Mine has UVB, but I don't believe it's a requirement.

If you mom is worried about the cat knocking stuff over and causing a fire, if it's possible you could hang the heat lamp and/or UVB light from the wall. That's what my roommate has set up for his leopard gecko, but that approach may not be feasible.

utahraptor9000

Arachnopeon
(Replying 14 years late for some reason).
I cannot help but bring up house geckos in the discussion of reptiles not needing heat lamps.
There are probably other geckos that don't need heat lamps, but house geckos are the most obvious examples. They are literally adapted to life indoors, although only in somewhat tropical settings.
They don't need much other than heat, humidity, insects, and moisture to drink to survive.

That's why they are spreading around the world. They are the "cellar spider" among the usually specialized reptiles, which are generally hard to maintain in domestic conditions, and suffer as a result of urbanization.
They can even lay eggs indoors.
That's an excellent example, I totally forgot about house geckos. You're not kidding about them being the "cellar spider" of reptiles, whenever I visit family in Thailand I feel like I can't go three steps without seeing another house gecko lol. They're really fun to watch, though!

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
That's an excellent example, I totally forgot about house geckos. You're not kidding about them being the "cellar spider" of reptiles, whenever I visit family in Thailand I feel like I can't go three steps without seeing another house gecko lol. They're really fun to watch, though!
In warm, tropical and subtropical climates with high humidity, house geckos could probably be kept in absurdly simple setups. They don't even require substrate.
They literally live on man-made walls.

Another reptile that doesn't require UV light is the flowerpot snake. It can live in a warm, moist, and insect-infested flowerpot.

If you work at or visit a garden center with exotic imports, you might find some of these reptiles for free. They are often imported accidentally in the exotic plants and their soil, especially the snakes.

Last edited:

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Would you consider an amphibian? Pac Man Frogs are basically squishy wet reptiles, and they need very little UVB, if any. Albinos can't even handle UV, to my understanding, and they're the best looking Pac Mans to begin with (as they actually look like Pac Man).

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Would you consider an amphibian? Pac Man Frogs are basically squishy wet reptiles, and they need very little UVB, if any. Albinos can't even handle UV, to my understanding, and they're the best looking Pac Mans to begin with (as they actually look like Pac Man).
Yeah, amphibians usually don't need or even tolerate much sunlight. American bullfrogs sometimes bask, but most amphibians avoid the sun at all costs.
Amphibians can even tolerate cool temperatures. Certain salamanders should actually be kept cool, and don't require any heat source at all, even in cold basements.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Yeah, amphibians usually don't need or even tolerate much sunlight. American bullfrogs sometimes bask, but most amphibians avoid the sun at all costs.
Amphibians can even tolerate cool temperatures. Certain salamanders should actually be kept cool, and don't require any heat source at all, even in cold basements.
Your statements about salamanders are correct, however, my salamanders have UV 2.3% on time clock., and use it.

Everything with a skeleton needs UV of some kind it aids Calcium and D3 intake.

Creatures from the forest floor,or ones that only require little UV do what's called " Cryptic Basking " where they only expose part of the body long enough to obtain the UV required ,but not exposing themselves to too much , or to predators.