best pet beetle

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally like superworm beetles... They're pretty cool.
I'm sure if I had more of them I'd say Dynastes tityus.
Osmoderma sp. grubs are pretty entertaining too.

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have to say that although the mentioned species are really neat (they truly are), but Cetoniinae (Flower beetles) are quite the little pets. Sure, most don't attain the size of the giants that can come from the previously mentioned genera (and unless you are in Europe you won't be able to get a Goliathus :p ), but they are incredibly colored, active during the day, fun to play with and are relatively easy to care for.

As far as a pet beetle, flower beetles take the prize for me.

Wlapkiewicz

Arachnopeon
I have to agree that Carabidae such as Calosoma sycophanta are really great pet beetles. Seeing them hunting around container for gypsy moth caterpillars was really an awesome show.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hmmm....manticora(giant tiger beetles):drool:would be awesome to keep,if they were avail,also anthias too. diving beetles(dytiscus) are a blast to keep,and then pasimachus,which ive got now,and man are they aggressive,but to top it off i just got those giant north american black flightless tiger beetles from orin just got in:worship:these things are sick,super fast,huge mandibles,great hunters.........what more could you ask for?{D well......all predatory ground beetles are a blast to keep.

Last edited:

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to say Death Feigning Beetle. I have heard they can live up to 17 years at least.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like keeping the chafers or the large long-horn beetles. If I find any of the latter. I've only had 2 in my lifetime.

I'd get some tiger beetles or some of the very large beetles, but they are illegal to ship here. :(

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
One of the Amblycheila (gigantic native tiger beetles that beetleman is talking about) is found in California. Of course you'd likely find a million chafers or longhorns before a single one of them.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Supposedly as adults but I've heard the same info. for Eleodes which rarely live more than two years. The giant tiger beetles can live over two years.

ILoveHotDogs

Arachnopeon
I am interested in this too. I just moved to Japan so I had to abandon my collection of critters back home, but I am interested in beetle keeping as it is popular here. I don't know Japanese well enough to learn about beetle care in that language, and the search didn't turn up much. Does anyone have any guidance?

Thanks

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I am interested in this too. I just moved to Japan so I had to abandon my collection of critters back home, but I am interested in beetle keeping as it is popular here. I don't know Japanese well enough to learn about beetle care in that language, and the search didn't turn up much. Does anyone have any guidance?

Thanks
Just go to the store, the beetle mat and foods have picture directions on the back of most of them.

more_rayne

Arachnopeon

Thanks
Aren't you able to the the giant hercules beetle in Japan? There's some youtube videos on them.

I'm looking for giant beetles with cool looking horns, where in the U.S. can I buy some?

Cincade

Arachnopeon
When I lived in Louisiana I grew up playing with June Bugs. I spent hours letting them crawl all over me, my favourite bug to this day! I miss them.

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
hmmm....manticora(giant tiger beetles):drool:would be awesome to keep,if they were avail,also anthias too. diving beetles(dytiscus) are a blast to keep,and then pasimachus,which ive got now,and man are they aggressive,but to top it off i just got those giant north american black flightless tiger beetles from orin just got in:worship:these things are sick,super fast,huge mandibles,great hunters.........what more could you ask for?{D well......all predatory ground beetles are a blast to keep.
Anthia have been breed successfully~ I forgot where specific thread here, but apparently they lay large and fragile eggs that require specific conditions to let them lay.
I wanna give it a go, but obviously, I gotta first obtain some...

My vote goes to Asbolus verucosus, commonly known as Blue Death-Feigning Beetles or Blue Ironclads. They are a handsome powder blue and reach a decent size. They have a gentle disposition and are very entertaining to watch.
They require a well ventilated, dry enclosure and can be kept communally, and will feed on a wide variety of foods.
While breeding them successfully is rare it has and can be done without too much difficulty.