1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best looking pamphobeteus?female?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Ultum4Spiderz, Nov 25, 2011.

1. boina

boina Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Advertisement
    I've gotten it as a juvenile without a Christmas tree pattern, so I don't know if it had one as a sling. It only turned adult with it's last molt, before it still had some purple-ish colors, so it wasn't brown. And so far - about 6 months after the last molt - it's not brown either... ok, maybe a hint of brown.

Anyway P. petersi is one of the smaller ones, but also one of the brownest. The other completely, utterly brown one is fortis. Vespertinus is brown, too.

Nigricolor and antinous are both pretty big.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. efmp1987

efmp1987 Arachnosquire Active Member

Thank you! :) I want antinous but its so big. Is petersi the same as grandis?

3. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

Ahh, those deep brown pre molt colors didn't come into effect on mine till around 4"...prior to that it was much more subtle.

I find many things about Pamps change with every molt (aside from the much longer legs). Between 2 and 3" the patterning on the carapace of my female was bright pink for example...quite stunning as she was otherwise jet black.

• Like Like x 1
  4. boina

boina Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Germany
    I don't think so.

5. sasker

sasker Arachnoknight Active Member

Then you should not consider any Pampho at all! :D I think all Pamphobeteus sp. get pretty large, but the smaller ones will be about 7 inch max, I guess. But the difference in size between 7 and 8 inch is not that big, and I am sure that once you have one you will like it so much that you can't wait for it to get even bigger.

Have you tried Cyriocosmus? They are usually not very brown and they stay smaller :troll:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. efmp1987

You mean those microscopic tarantulas invisible to the naked eye? :troll: No. :joyful:

Okay, Ill get one giant spider! But it has to be a Pamphobeteus :happy:

7. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Get a Theraphosa if you only want one giant. Go big or go home.

• Like Like x 1
  8. efmp1987

Has the color of human poop. Nope :vamp::happy::joyful:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Venom1080

:meh:..:rolleyes:

Only people who don't keep them think they're all brown. ;) Keep that in mind..

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. sasker

sasker Arachnoknight Active Member

Speaking from experience? Man, review your diet and add more fibers and vegetables!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. efmp1987

Okay! Judgement day (my opinion)!

All the species with black females get my vote!

1. Pamphobeteus antinous
    2. Pamphobeteus cf. antinous
    3. Pamphobeteus sp. "tigris" (needs confirmation)
    4. Pamphobeteus grandis (from the NE of Peru). Formally named back in 2008. From what I have gathered so far P. grandis (SE Peru) resembles the antinous, maybe some slight differences in morphology.
    5. Probably one can say P. nigricolor is black as well! :)

12. campj

campj Arachnoknight

ID
    I think Pamphobeteus sp cascada is what you're looking for. Velvety black with red highlights and don't get too huge (7.5") as adults. I've got a pair, both juvenile, and they're pretty great.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  13. Deeser

Deeser Arachnopeon Active Member

I believe Pamphobeteus sp. Machala females are mostly black as well, but as stated above, and like most(all?) pamphs, they do go heavy brown before moulting.

14. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad

Virginia
    I didn’t read the whole thread because I’m a bum. Ultramarinus females are beautiful; they’re black with pink on the carapace and purple femurs. They’re one of the smallest in the genus.

Edit: Ok now I read the whole thread. My female never turned brown, but she’s just a sample size of one. I gave her and two mature males to Steve at Arachnoiden, so maybe he’ll be able to repeat his breeding feat and produce some slings. I think he and Ana at netbug are the only ones in the states to breed this species. It sounds like that may be what you’re looking for. I have a juvenile pair of Solaris and they’re gorgeous now, but I can’t tell you anything about their adult coloring that you couldn’t see from a google image search yourself.

I’m the second-worst photographer on the site, but here’s an adult female P ultramarinus 9A58CA04-6A48-460B-B4CA-3BE26F397C01.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. efmp1987

I'm trying to get more information on P. sp. "tigris" but can't find any, even clear pics. :shifty:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

My stirmi was a lovely auburn lass.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad

Virginia
    F72C50AC-43E2-4B4E-ACEE-35BBE43FE6CD.jpeg
    I really am terrible at this.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. efmp1987

Ultramarinus is such a noble spider. It certainly deserves an owner who knows how to take pix of her. Quick! Give it to me! :troll:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Venom1080

Go closer. ;)
    Maybe rest your arms on the enclosure to let the camera focus.

20. efmp1987

Are you seeing blues and reds and purples in Theraphosa specimens? I must be going blind :troll: