1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best foods for tarantulas

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by mrclean, May 23, 2011.

1. Advertisement
    Could someone point me in the right direction on what to feed my group of monsters.Im feeding them crickets now is superworms or roaches better?
  2. Safe78

Safe78 Arachnopeon

Roaches have more protien
  3. fartkowski

fartkowski Arachnoemperor

I have always fed crickets with no problems.
    I usually feed them off before they have a chance to smell, and if some get out, I find the chirping relaxing:)
  4. flamesbane

flamesbane Arachnobaron

As long as the food is gut-loaded (fed high quality food) a day or two before feeding you shouldn't have any problems. If you do decide to use superworms make sure to offer them some fruit and veggies before you feed them, the bedding they come packed on isn't all that nutritious.
  5. Ty im going to the pet store and getting some gutload for the crickets
  6. lancej

lancej Arachnolord

I would stay away from the "gut-loading" cricket food that contains a high calcium content. I've read and heard that too much calcium in the diet will cause bad molts. If I'm off base on this, somebody please set me straight.
  7. Obijuan56

Obijuan56 Arachnosquire

I tend to feed my tarantulas what they like best, Some like crickets while others like superworms, though I am in the process of bringing up a Dubia Roach colony. Though I would say crickets are a good way to go, since they are readily available almost anywhere
  8. Falk

Falk Arachnodemon

Its important to give variations, crickets, roaches, locusts or other big insects. Giving only roaces or only crickets its not very good. I use well fed B. dubia as basic and then give crickets or lucousts now and then.
  9. flamesbane

flamesbane Arachnobaron

Assuming you vary the diet of your feeders this won't be as much of a concern, however I do like to the same thing. Varied diets are important for good growth and healthy tarantulas.
  10. Careful with super worms, those guys can deliver a pretty bad bite.
  11. skar

skar Arachnobaron

I completely agree ! I feed mine a varied diet crix, waxworms, roachs etc. . . .
    I do not have the link but there was a study on feeding a varied diet vs just crickets and the results were very convincing. ( however in the study it was meal worms and crix vs just crix.
  12. Where can i find locusts?

Where can i find locusts to feed my tarantula?
  13. grayzone

grayzone Arachnoking

google it... im sure it cant be too hard to find locusts... cant they harm your t though? how big are the ts youre feedin
  14. flamesbane

flamesbane Arachnobaron

It's illegal to ship/culture them in the states.
  15. re

ah i say around 4-5 inches not good with measuring lol.... I`ll stick with crickets roaches and wax worms.Would nite crawlers work or is the goo that they produce bad for tarantulas?
  16. Merfolk

Merfolk Arachnoprince Old Timer

The most intense food responses I witnessed were toward lizards. I am lucky since my habitual shop sells feeder geckos. Each T gets about 2-3 a year when they get over 5'' and they have smaller lacertas at 2$. Otherwise, I feed about evey kind of worm I can buy. Variety is the key, they don't stick to the same prey item in the wild. Crickets are the default food here.