1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best food for feeding small slings?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by bjm54, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Advertisement
    hey guys, i just got in 2 A.Versicolor Slings, my smallest ever. They are right at .5", i thought they would be big enough to eat the small crickets from my pet store, but they seem too small. what would be a good alternative?

2. Slevin

Slevin Arachnosquire

You can pre-kill a cricket and toss it in or throw in a cricket leg. All of my very small slings have preferred pre-killed items, they'd just stumble upon them while exploring. I now have a B. dubia roach colony and just feed the tiny slings a pre-killed roach nymph if they run from live ones.

3. Toogledoo

Toogledoo Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

You can buy feeders online. You can buy smaller crickets, fruit flies, roach nymphs, etc. I use baby Dubia and Lateralis roaches. :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. Ludedor24

Ludedor24 Arachnobaron

NJ
    Flightless fruit flies 1-2 at a time.

5. le-thomas

le-thomas Arachnobaron

Flightless fruit flies or dead cricket parts. I personally just do the dead cricket thing. Slings are naturally scavengers anyways.

6. Zman181

Zman181 Arachnoknight

N.Y.
    Just feed them cricket parts. Squish the head of a 1/2 in cricket and cut the entire body in half. Then place a halve in with each one.

7. I've had .5" slings take down pin heads. I just take off their hind legs and they are able to chase them down. My small P. Metallica slings would actually bite them let them go and let their venom kill the cricket and eat it after it died.

8. ElevenBravo

ElevenBravo Arachnopeon

I have never had a problem with a small sling eating (unless in premolt) as long as I offered prekilled. I get small mealworms and cut them off a small piece they suck out the juice and leave the exo behind. Do you have any idea how hard it is for a 36yr old that needs glasses to cut up crickets and mealworms with short fat stubby fingers the FFF were a godsend for a versi with a fast metabolism.

Any of these food items will work if presented correctly (small bits) I would use the one that is the easiest for you A. versis are awesome with a strong will to live 6mo later they will be 1.5" at least mine is :D In less then three months from .5" my versi was eating small live crickets.