Best feeder roaches?

Benny8legs

Arachnopeon
I've had my G. porteri for about 2 weeks now, and during that time she's eaten 2 crickets no problem. The only issue is that they're very small compared to her and they're the "large" crickets my local exotic pet store carries. I've read that roaches are substantially better to feed your Ts with so that's what I'm hoping to do.

The same pet store said they carry feeder roaches (not sure about the species). Should I buy through them or find an alternate source yall recommend?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Probably an alternate source if it is a big chain like petco or petsmart. If it is local shop specalizing in reptiles you might get a decent price.

Lateralis (red runners) are great but only the size of crickets

Dubia are bigger but not all T's like them. I would suggest getting the adult Males as they run around the most.

I think hissers are also used by some because they get even bigger than the dubia but i think they are quite a bit more expensive.

Benny8legs

Arachnopeon
Probably an alternate source if it is a big chain like petco or petsmart. If it is local shop specalizing in reptiles you might get a decent price.

Lateralis (red runners) are great but only the size of crickets

Dubia are bigger but not all T's like them. I would suggest getting the adult Males as they run around the most.

I think hissers are also used by some because they get even bigger than the dubia but i think they are quite a bit more expensive.
Thanks! They're my local exotic pet store and they have REALLY good prices on their crickets so I'm assuming it'll be the same for their roaches. Not sure the species, though

Theneil

Arachnoprince
if they are big and brown (0.25-2 inches) they are probably dubia

if they are Red-orange with some almost purple then they are probably Lateralis. i think those are the most common species as long as your state doesn't have invasive species laws like Florida.

I would like to throw out there that some spiders aren't a big fan of the dubias thoug, so don't buy a bunch until uou know that they will work for yours.

I would also like to say that the "rose hair" tarantulas have very low food requirements so switching to a large food item like an adult B. dubia is probably like 2-4 weeks worth of food per roach.

Benny8legs

Arachnopeon
if they are big and brown (0.25-2 inches) they are probably dubia

if they are Red-orange with some almost purple then they are probably Lateralis. i think those are the most common species as long as your state doesn't have invasive species laws like Florida.

I would like to throw out there that some spiders aren't a big fan of the dubias thoug, so don't buy a bunch until uou know that they will work for yours.

I would also like to say that the "rose hair" tarantulas have very low food requirements so switching to a large food item like an adult B. dubia is probably like 2-4 weeks worth of food per roach.
Again, I appreciate it. You've answered tons of my questions in my short time here... really appreciate it :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hissing roaches are the best feeder roach hands down.. They don't burrow or play dead like dubia and they won't infest your house if they escape like red runners.The other possible downside to red runners is that they are small, so depending on the size of your T(s) that may be a problem.

I like to use nymph to juvenile hissers for most of my Ts as they still have a very soft exo skeleton yet provide a large meal. I give my larger specimens ( Theraphosa, 7+ inch pokies, large pamphos etc. Adult male hissers and they take them down no problem.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I got a colony of dubias, and they are super easy to keep.

I may expand to hisses in the future.

LdLrLyChLd

Arachnosquire
I don’t have big Ts but the adult lateralis are pretty decently juicy! I find they’re really easy to care for and they do not burrow like Dubias. Their exoskeleton is soft and they lay lots of eggs if you’re into the idea of breeding them. Find out what your local store has to offer and do some research! I think it would be good to buy straight from them, the only reason I breed my own is those damn shipping charges!

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
When you ask the question "Best" there is a lot of answers you are going to get.... Every specie have their upsides.
For example, dubia is bigger, red runner is smaller.
Dubia is better for gutloading
Dubia hide, red runners don't.
Dubia don't get eaten all the time, red runners are much more attractive food.
It really depend on your animal and your prefrence.
If you want big, nutritious, harmless roachs that can't ever escape then dubia is great.(These guys breed slower)
If you want smaller, also pretty nutritious and every fast breeding roaches then red runner is your best bet.(These guys are escape artists)
There is also other species like lobster roach or the giant hissing one with a very long name...