Best Enclosures for < 2"

Trell

Arachnopeon
I am going to get some slings that are less than 2 inches (1.25 and .75) I think were advertised on the site and I'm just wondering if the mini critter keepers I have now are going to be too big for them. They are going to be a Green Bottle Blue (1.25) and a Redknee (.75).

I have a 1.5 inch Fireleg right in a mini critter keeper now with a mini half log's open side facing the wall so I can see it and (it was) half buried in the substrate until it dug all the way to the bottom of it and now has a burrow and stays in there the whole time. The only time I've seen it not inside the log is when I first got it and it walked all around the sides and top but hardly ever on the substrate.

So I was just wondering are these enclosures too big for tarantulas this small? Or will they adapt either way and get used to it. For the GBB I'm going to have substrate and some branches and no designated hide area for it because I've seen they just make webs everywhere.

If they are too big of enclosures for them what would you suggest? Because these are my first tarantulas this size, I'm not that experienced with how they should be housed. Any experience shared will be appreciated.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The rule is 3 to 4 times as wide as the LS. Although, most, if not all slings burrow, probably for protection from predators.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They need to be kept in deli containers until they are about 2 - 2.5 inches.

Art

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The problem with mini critter keepers is not size, but the ventilation slits. People lose a lot of spiderlings because they stick them in one of these and the sling squeezes out one of the openings and escapes. If your tarantula can fit its head between the bars, it can get out.

SylverTear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If they are too big of enclosures for them what would you suggest? Because these are my first tarantulas this size, I'm not that experienced with how they should be housed. Any experience shared will be appreciated.
Get the display cubes from Michaels. They work perfectly, there is a thread on how to cut holes for ventilation too. They have many different sizes and they work for all the slings I have currently. Once they get about 2 inches then a critter keeper will be fine. I currently have 3 in small critter keepers that range from 1.75 to 2 inches.

Hope that helps :)

Walleye

Arachnopeon
I got 20 4" x 4" x 4" clear square deli containers from Buyerly's for $10.00