Best Desert hairy scorpion substrate

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a H. Arizonensis next month and I was wondering what's the best substrate. I've heard of just sand, sand and eco earth, sand and gravel, sand and excavator clay and just pure gravel. If sand is good, would you say to get the special calcium sand or just play sand? Thanks

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I've had two for a while.

I wouldn't recommend pure sand as they *do* like to burrow and make tunnels. I'd avoid gravel for the same reason. Likely more of a mix of sand with something that will hold a burrow, so the clay and sand and peat/coco/topsoil perhaps?

I've got one in peat moss, and it has started digging under a nice piece of birch wood I have in there. I've found they do make creative hides of their own, often have 2 or 3 exits/entrances.

undeaddeaths

Arachnosquire
A mix of 70/30 (or something close) play sand to excavator clay works well. I'd suggest if you do use it to put it down in layers so it dries faster.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
I've had two for a while.

I wouldn't recommend pure sand as they *do* like to burrow and make tunnels. I'd avoid gravel for the same reason. Likely more of a mix of sand with something that will hold a burrow, so the clay and sand and peat/coco/topsoil perhaps?

I've got one in peat moss, and it has started digging under a nice piece of birch wood I have in there. I've found they do make creative hides of their own, often have 2 or 3 exits/entrances.
Thanks and nice!